[rec.birds] Block Island

pratt@blaze.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (05/23/91)

Hi,
  I'm thinking of a trip to Block Island, NY this weekend.  Can anybody
tell me what it's like?  I'd especially like to know if there's any good
bird watching there.  What else is there to do?
Does it get really crowded?  Thanks,
    Lori
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(908) 932-4634 (Hill Center office)        New Brunswick, NJ  08903, USA
(908) 846-4766 (home)

gil@porky.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (05/23/91)

In article <May.22.14.19.40.1991.7705@blaze.rutgers.edu>
pratt@blaze.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) writes:
>Hi,
>  I'm thinking of a trip to Block Island, NY this weekend.  Can anybody
>tell me what it's like?  I'd especially like to know if there's any good
>bird watching there.  What else is there to do?
>Does it get really crowded?  Thanks,

First of all, Block Island is part of Rhode Island, not New York.
It's at the east end of Long Island Sound (and hence is near the
eastern tip of Long Island, which is in New York).  It can be
reached by ferry from Providence, Newport, and Pt. Judith, RI,
from New London, Connecticut, and from Montauk, NY (I think).
You can fly from Westerly, RI, LaGuardia, and probably lots of
other places (on small planes).

Block Island is very small; about three miles by five.  There are
two harbor areas, each with a smallish town around it.  The rest
of the island is not very developed, although I haven't been there
in almost ten years.  There are a number of restaurants in the
two harbor areas, but nothing outside of them.  I remember the
lobster rolls from Deadeye Dick's quite fondly.

I don't know much about birdwatching, but, as I said, it is
(or was) quite undeveloped.  I used to get a lot of blackberries
there.  The night scene existed, but was not large.  Overall,
it was a relaxing place to spend a vacation.  The weekends
are more crowded than other times, of course.  I would like
that Memorial Day would be a little bit early for there
to be real crowds there, but I suppose it depends on the
weather in the rest of Rhode Island.  If it's real hot
in Providence, you might get a lot of people.  But Block
Island tends to stay pretty cool, so if the mainland
hasn't heated up yet, people will probably stay away
until July and August.

				- Gil Neiger
				gil@cc.gatech.edu