[rec.birds] INDOOR: Parrot Symposium

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (05/22/91)

Last weekend I attended the Canadian Parrot Symposium (2nd Annual).
If anyone is interested in any of the speakers I will produce
a summary.  The agenda was:

Paul Butler - Putting the Pieces in Place: The Conservation of Lesster
   Antillean Amazons

Dr. Kuni Fann - In Praise of the Eclectus Parrot

Tony Silva - Captive Breeding Using the Example of Loro Parque

Jan Roger van Oosten - Species for the Future

Peter Mostert - The Hawkheaded Parrot

Gloria Allen - Handfeeding Psittacine-Type Birds

Rick Jordan - Psittacine Incubation: Controls for Success

Dr. Matthew Vriends - Breeding Aratinga Species

Robert MacLean - Wild Animal and Plant Protection Act (proposed Canadian
   Legislation)

Dr. Branson Ritchie DVM - Advances in Understanding PBFD Virus and
    Polyomavirus

Dr. Ron Orenstein - Why Aviculturists Shoud Support Regulation of the
   Wild Bird Trade

Gary P. Lilienthal - The Activities of the Cooperative Working Group on
   the Bird Trade.

----------

If you ever get a chance to see any of Paul Butler, Tony Silva, Rick Jordan,
or Branson Ritchie speak, do not miss the opportunity.  They are excellent.
Gloria Allen was also a good speaker.  The others varied from ok to quite
good - sometimes the delivery was poor; sometimes the material was very
dry or uninteresting.

There were around 200 people at the conference (2 day) and it was definitely
well worth attending (in my opinion).  The next one will likely be in one
or two years and I'd recommend it to anyone within 8 hours of Toronto.

Anyhow, if you want more info on any of the speaches, put up a request
and I'll try to summarize.

   Stewart

--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (05/23/91)

In article <9661@cognos.UUCP>, stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:

Re: conference speakers...

> Dr. Ron Orenstein - Why Aviculturists Shoud Support Regulation of the
>    Wild Bird Trade
>
> Gary P. Lilienthal - The Activities of the Cooperative Working Group on
>    the Bird Trade.

Could you please summarize what these people said?  The wild bird trade is a
very controversial topic and many states are passing laws re: legality of
having imported birds as pets in their states.

Mikki Barry

ss@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Steve Scheid) (05/23/91)

I would be interested in a summary of Peter Mostert talk on the Hawkheaded
Parrot, especially any information dealing with captive breeding and diet.

-Steve Scheid