[rec.birds] INDOOR: THANKS AND Gold capped-conure

egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) (05/22/91)

I just thought that I would add a comment here about my conure....
Apparently taco was hand fed from birth, and not taken from the wild,  His
privious owner are a pair of wonderful breeders who were trying to mate
him.  After searching for three years for a female, they gave up on ever
finding Taco a lover, and soon after decided to part with him.  In the last
week or so, our first month together, things have been pretty good, the
he is so affectionate that it is hard to believe he is not a person.
Anyways, he still is not playing with anything, and screams as soon as I
leave his sight, which is getting to be hard to deal with.  I have been
covering him when this happens, but the only effect is that he now hates
towels and attacks them.  I really hope that he learns to not get so upset
wehn I am not available...

Peace and happy birding,
eric

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May22.005536.6479@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) writes:
>Anyways, he still is not playing with anything, and screams as soon as I
>leave his sight, which is getting to be hard to deal with.

   While it's not always easy, I suggest you try to be very 'consistent' about
the time you spend with him.  Try to take him out of his cage and put him back
in his cage at the same time every day.  Don't change the routine on weekends.
This works with many birds (not with all though), but birds can learn to adapt
to a routine.  Once it is established (assuming he accepts it) heaven help you
if you break it.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/23/91)

>>Anyways, he still is not playing with anything, and screams as soon as I
>>leave his sight, which is getting to be hard to deal with.

BirdTalk had an article a couple months back about screaming birds: one
thing it said, which I've noticed with my lovebirds, is that they scream
while separated from eachother, as a way of keeping tabs on eachothers'
locations.  This behavior is not confined to parrots: I understand owls
are the same, and probably other birds.  Anyhow, the BirdTalk article
suggested talking quietly to the bird as an indication that you are
coming/going, thus satisfying his need to locate you.  You might say
"hello, hello" or something when coming and "bye" when going.  The
writer claimed success.  Good luck--conures are known to be loud!

Ruth

ghost@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Glenn Host) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.155448.21976@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) writes:
>>>Anyways, he still is not playing with anything, and screams as soon as I
>>>leave his sight, which is getting to be hard to deal with.
>>
>BirdTalk had an article a couple months back about screaming birds: one
>thing it said, which I've noticed with our lovebirds, is that they scream
>while separated from eachother, as a way of keeping tabs on eachothers'
>locations.  This behavior is not confined to parrots: I understand owls
>are the same, and probably other birds.  Anyhow, the BirdTalk article
>suggested talking quietly to the bird as an indication that you are
>coming/going, thus satisfying his need to locate you.  You might say
>"hello, hello" or something when coming and "bye" when going.  The
>writer claimed success.  Good luck--conures are known to be loud!
>Ruth

We have sucessfully done this with out Cockitiels and Lovebirds.
At first they would scream whenever we left the room.

Now whenever we leave we say
"Bye, On-On" "Bye, Lucy" "Bye, Ming" "Bye, Yee" "Goodbye, little guys"
several times, especially if we are going out the door.

(We have built an indoor aviary inside our living room so they can see
us coming and going)

When we come home they are screaming when we go to the door.
After we open the door they will calm down after say hello to them.

The lovebirds have me trained to feed them sunflower seeds when I get
home from work - they will chirp and wave their heads back and forth
until I feed them.

I love having birds - to think we got into birds after our dog Ivan
found On-On and would not go home until my wife investigated
why the cockitiel would not move.

--
Glenn Host - Senior Systems Analyst (ghost@ra.nrl.navy.mil)
NRL Code 5800, 4555 Overlook Ave.; Washington, DC 20375   (202) 767-2046