[rec.birds] Blue-winged Warbler in Toronto

rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) (05/25/91)

Blue-winged Warbler is fairly uncommon in Toronto, and they might
be nesting here.  The Western Kingbird, however, is very uncommon
here.  Could your bird have been a Great Crested Flycatcher?

It is good to be back (now that it's summer) after a long and
very interesting and productive trip to New Zealand, Australia,
Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and most recently Costa Rica.
My special thanks to Andrew Taylor of Sydney and Bill Venables of
Adelaide for many tips on finding birds in Australia.  Andrew
was nice enough to take my wife and me out one day near Sydney,
and helped us push our Australian list to over 300 species!
Not too bad, I think, considering that everything was new for
us--well, most things.  Unfortunately we did not have any time
in Adelaide.  I'll post our list to Andrew and Bill--and anyone
else in netland that is interested.  I don't know how many new
species we got over all, but over 400 in Costa Rica, and over
40 new families overall.  But for you North Americans, Australia
and PNG are as close as you can get to being on a different
planet without getting into a rocket!
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.172201.746@zoo.toronto.edu> rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) writes:
>Blue-winged Warbler is fairly uncommon in Toronto, and they might
>be nesting here.  The Western Kingbird, however, is very uncommon
>here.  Could your bird have been a Great Crested Flycatcher?

No.  As I said in the earlier post, it was probably an Eastern that the sun
made look yellow.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600