[rec.birds] Do birds eat mulberries?

packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (05/24/91)

If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

foley@helix.nih.gov (Charles K. Foley) (05/24/91)

In article <5413@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
>Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
>planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

Yes, birds eat mulberries.  A mulberry tree in the neighborhood I grew
up in used to attract flocks of Cedar Waxwings - one of my favorite birds.

If you decide to take the tree down, maybe you could plant another in
a more favorable location that would still attract the birds.  You might
consider a tree that keeps its berries into the winter so that birds
will have something to eat when their summer foods are gone.  Some
species you might try are: American holley (plants are male or female
so you would need at least two for pollination), mountain ash, dogwood.

Bluebirds particularly like the berries from these trees in the winter
when the bugs are gone...

--
Charles Foley (foley@iris03.niehs.nih.gov)
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences

rsl@cbnewsm.att.com (randolph.little) (05/24/91)

In article <5413@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) writes:
> If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
> Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
> planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

Mulberry trees are excellent for both food and cover for birds, but pay
attention to ensure the tree does not become a nuisance when it (and
the birds) drop fruit profusely on everything beneath the tree!

-- Randolph S. Little <rsl@bonasa.att.com>

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/24/91)

In article <5413@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
>Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
>planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

Starlings eat mulberries.  Finches (of course) do not.  My husband says
chopping down the mulberry tree was the best thing his parents did to
attract songbirds: the starlings left and the other birds came to
feeders.  I don't know about other fruit eaters such as orioles though.

Ruth

crossley@oakhill.sps.mot.com (John Crossley) (05/25/91)

packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) writes:

>If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
>Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
>planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

Yes, some birds do eat the berries, the problem is there aren't
usually enough birds in the vacinity to eat all the berries. but
on the other hand don't you like the random designs the berries
make in your carpet? ;^)

john c.

ps. what about a hose or broom? or  covered side walk etc.

sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (05/25/91)

In article <5413@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>If birds eat mulberries, I leave alone the tree in my back yard.
>Otherwise, I'd be inclined to chop it down because it was
>planted exactly where you shouldn't plant one, next to a sidewalk.

You bet they do, they love em.  Right now the Mulberry tree in Descanso
gardens is the best place in the gardens for Swainson's and Hermit Thrush
plus grosbeaks and Robins.  The tree can hardly keep up with the birds.
Usually lots of Tanagers in the area too although havent seen one go
for a berry let.

Mulberries, of course, are always planted next to a sidewalk.

Sid Johnson

packer@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (05/25/91)

Thanks everybody. The tree stays. I've got holley trees too, so
the birds are in Fat City when they visit me.