[rec.birds] Help w/bird identity: KS

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/29/91)

HELP!!  I saw a pretty bird high in a tree last night, in town
(Manhattan, KS: eastern KS and suburban) and this bird ISN'T
(I promise!) in the Audobon guide!  It was slim, built like a
cardinal, yellow underneath, dark wings, I _think_ light back,
but like I said it was high up.  Size: less than 8", more than
6" (I'd guess).  Had black on its face but none under the chin.
It had a pronounced, clear, 4-note whistled song, by which I
located it at first.  Ran inside for the bird book and the
binoculars, and of course when I got back it was gone.  The
closest guess I could find for coloring was Goldfinch: but it
was too slim, and I _know_ what a goldfinch looks like!  Oriole
doesn't have the rignt mask.  Any other guesses?
I'm going to coin a new Murphy's law:  If you got a good look
at it, you won't find it in the book; if you didn't, your binoculars
won't be anywhere nearby...

Ruth

drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.205914.18624@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) writes:
>HELP!!  I saw a pretty bird high in a tree last night, in town
>(Manhattan, KS: eastern KS and suburban) and this bird ISN'T
>(I promise!) in the Audobon guide!  It was slim, built like a
>cardinal, yellow underneath, dark wings, I _think_ light back,
>but like I said it was high up.  Size: less than 8", more than
>6" (I'd guess).  Had black on its face but none under the chin.
>It had a pronounced, clear, 4-note whistled song, by which I
>located it at first.  Ran inside for the bird book and the
>binoculars, and of course when I got back it was gone.  The
>closest guess I could find for coloring was Goldfinch: but it
>was too slim, and I _know_ what a goldfinch looks like!  Oriole
>doesn't have the rignt mask.  Any other guesses?
>I'm going to coin a new Murphy's law:  If you got a good look
>at it, you won't find it in the book; if you didn't, your binoculars
>won't be anywhere nearby...
>
>Ruth

Ruth - here I am in Manhattan KS and you could have called me
to find out what the bird is.  My guess is that you saw a first-year
male orchard oriole (look on p 302 of the Robbins (Golden) guide).
There are plenty of them about right now (more than usual, I feel),
and your description fits this bird right on the nose (er, beak).
Dave Rintoul
Biology - KSU
Manhattan KS
drintoul@matt.ksu.edu