[rec.birds] INDOOR:cockatiel breeding help!!!

crossley@oakhill.sps.mot.com (John Crossley) (05/29/91)

Cookies at it again - She is laying eggs and we don't know
what to do, We think they cannot be fertile eggs because
the male is not with her, We separated them because Cookie
was being very agressive about 8 weeks ago. Her first clutch
was 6 eggs 2 fertile, only one actually hatched and the baby
is fine - but now we are back to square one. We know some
birds can mate once and lay several fertile eggs but our
books do not mention this.

Putting the male back with the female seems fine but Cookie
harrasses the heck out of him.... sigh........

Any comments about this second Round of egg laying?

Thanks
John Crossley

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.140544.761@oakhill.sps.mot.com> crossley@oakhill.sps.mot.com (John Crossley) writes:
>Cookies at it again - She is laying eggs and we don't know
>what to do, We think they cannot be fertile eggs because
>
>Putting the male back with the female seems fine but Cookie
>harrasses the heck out of him.... sigh........
>
>John Crossley

Well, not every tiel makes a good parent or mate.  Is cookie a young
bird and inexperienced at breeding?  How badly does she harass the male?
Does she actually draw blood or physically fight.  Cockatiels are also
notorious for foot biting.  You should at least allow her to sit on
the eggs to get the laying stopped.  Also make sure she is getting a
good amount of calcium.  Maybe the aggression is due to breeding urges
or maybe she just does not make a good mate.  One possibility is to let
them breed, remove him to some out-of-sight area, and let her raise the
chicks.  If you really want to breed, you might consider getting another
mate too.  Hope it works out.

Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov