[rec.birds] round-the-world birding trip

mcolthea@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) (05/29/91)

In the (Northern) late summer and fall I will be in a lot of
different places and would like to see some birds, so I'd
appreciate some NetHelp. Here are the places:

1. Tuscany (last 2 weeks August)
2. Cambridge UK (Sept-Oct)
3. Baltimore (2 weeks)
then several places I'll visit only for a day or two so could
only use highly accessible bird sites:
4. Atlanta, Tucson, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles.

Thanks in advance (please email advice direct to me).

Max Coltheart

sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (05/29/91)

In article <969@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mcolthea@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Max Coltheart) writes:
>In the (Northern) late summer and fall I will be in a lot of
>different places and would like to see some birds, so I'd
>appreciate some NetHelp. Here are the places:
>
>1. Tuscany (last 2 weeks August)
>2. Cambridge UK (Sept-Oct)

For Europe, you can start with Gooders : Where to watch birds in Britain and
Europe. It lists a few sites per country, and I wouldn't know offhand about
Italy. Otherwise, I doubt you will find anything documented on Italy. Italians
don't look at birds, they shoot them.
Tuscany in August is hot and silent, but you can get up in the mountains and
get Rock Thrush and Alpine Swift and other nice birds.
For Britain, I strongly recommend Redman&Harrap, Bird-finding guide to
Britain. Best bird-finding guide I know. Autumn (as they call it over
there) is excellent for birding but the weather will be lousy. Most of England
is within reach of a weekend trip so you'll be able to see a lot.

Don't know where you would get either book from Australia.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

marcone@math.psu.edu (Alberto G. Marcone) (05/30/91)

In article <3078@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:

>I doubt you will find anything documented on Italy. Italians
>don't look at birds, they shoot them.
>
>Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri.fsu.edu
>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
>Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

Being Italian I felt I need to say something about this. It is true
that activities like birdwatching are far less widespread in Italy
than in most other countries (I myself became a birdwatcher in the USA)
but the sensibility of Italians about environmental problems is
steadily on the rise. Daan refers explicitly to hunting but probably
does not know the widespread opposition to hunting in Italy: last year
there was a referendum aimed at virtually abolishing hunting in Italy
and (if I recall this correctly) about 90% of the ballots cast were
against hunting. Unfortunately less than 50% of the voters cast their
votes and so the referendum did not work [this is widely attributable
to the lobbying of the weapon industry and the hunting associations,
which managed to split the referendum from the local elections and
hold it at the beginning of summer with as little publicity as
possible]. I think that on this the gap between the sensibility of
the average Italian citizen and the political system is particularly
wide (even for Italian standards): hunters are a small group very
well organized and (for the moment) they have managed, resorting to
all means, to avoid being outlawed, as the Italian ecological
situation I think warrants.
Since this is not trial.soc.culture.italian I go back to my point
saying that when I moved to the USA three years ago I was surprised
at the amount of social approval that hunting has in this country:
the New York Times has a weekly column on hunting, but no Italian
newspaper would publish anything like that, because it knows that it will
be heavily boycotted (and few people will read it, anyway).
I am sending directly to the original poster a few references I
have for birding in Italy.
This wasn't intended to be offensive for anyone: we should just
be careful to avoid reasoning by stereotypes...

Bye,
Alberto			marcone@math.psu.edu

sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (05/30/91)

In article <$3aHs_ph@cs.psu.edu> marcone@math.psu.edu (Alberto G. Marcone) writes:
>In article <3078@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>>
>>I doubt you will find anything documented on Italy. Italians
>>don't look at birds, they shoot them.
>>
>>Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri.fsu.edu
>>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
>>Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045
>
>Being Italian I felt I need to say something about this. It is true
>that activities like birdwatching are far less widespread in Italy
>than in most other countries (I myself became a birdwatcher in the USA)
>but the sensibility of Italians about environmental problems is
>steadily on the rise. Daan refers explicitly to hunting but probably
>does not know the widespread opposition to hunting in Italy: last year
>there was a referendum aimed at virtually abolishing hunting in Italy
>and (if I recall this correctly) about 90% of the ballots cast were
>against hunting. Unfortunately less than 50% of the voters cast their
>votes and so the referendum did not work ...

I apologize to the Italian people for my off-hand remark about Italians
shooting birds. I knew of the anti-hunting referendum being defeated
for technical reasons (thanks for reminding me of the details), and
was thus aware that the bird-killing aspect of Italian culture was
followed by only a minority of Italians.
I should explain that I write from the perspective of a Western
European, and I am concerned about the future of migrant songbirds in
my home country (The Netherlands). One of several problems they have is
the wholesale slaughter along the migration route in Southern Europe,
with Italy being the main offender (France running a close second).

>Since this is not trial.soc.culture.italian I go back to my point
>saying that when I moved to the USA three years ago I was surprised
>at the amount of social approval that hunting has in this country ...

Absolutely. If you want to point out that hunting is more socially
acceptable in the U.S. than it is in Italy, you may well be right.
But I never heard of U.S. hunters shooting at migrant songbirds.
(They do shoot at bald eagles and other endangered species, though,
both accidentally and on purpose. Last year, a hunter shot a whooping
crane. He thought it was a snow goose, he said. No doubt the refuge
people told him he'd just eliminated one percent of the world population).

>I am sending directly to the original poster a few references I
>have for birding in Italy.

I, too, would be interested, although it is unlikely I will be birding in
Italy in the near future (but not impossible ; to confuse the situation
a bit more, I am currently physically located in Paris, France, where
I have Internet access but no Usenet access. Two weeks ago, I was in
the French Alps looking for Blue Rock Thrush and such, without much
success).
What I would like to know is the extent of birdwatching (to use the
most general term) in Italy. Is there any organization? any document-
ation?

>This wasn't intended to be offensive for anyone: we should just
>be careful to avoid reasoning by stereotypes...

Absolutely. Which is why I apologize.

>Bye,
>Alberto			marcone@math.psu.edu

Daan Sandee                              sandee@asterix.ipgp.jussieu.fr
Thinking Machines Corporation
Institut de Physique du Globe
75252 Paris France                        Phone 011 33 1 4427 2415

marcone@math.psu.edu (Alberto G. Marcone) (05/31/91)

In article <3093@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>What I would like to know is the extent of birdwatching (to use the
>most general term) in Italy. Is there any organization? any document-
>ation?
>
>Daan Sandee                              sandee@asterix.ipgp.jussieu.fr
>Thinking Machines Corporation
>Institut de Physique du Globe
>75252 Paris France                        Phone 011 33 1 4427 2415

As I mentioned in my previous posting I became a birdwatcher after moving
to the USA, so I never actually birded in Italy. I'll be back there (at
least temporarily) from next September and I'll try to make up.

The main birding organization in Italy is called LIPU. The address
of their main office is:
Lega Italiana Protezione Uccelli
vicolo san Tiburzio 5
43100 PARMA
tel: +39-521-233414

For the publications I am looking at the bibliography of my (Italian-
produced) field guide to European birds: I cannot find any 'Where to
find birds in Italy" title but maybe Daan can be interested by
"Atlante degli Uccelli delle Alpi Italiane" (Atlas of the birds
of the Italian Alps) by Pierandrea Brichetti, Ramperto Ed., Brescia,
1987.

Alberto Marcone			marcone@math.psu.edu

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (05/31/91)

In article <3093@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>   both accidentally and on purpose. Last year, a hunter shot a whooping
>   crane. He thought it was a snow goose, he said. No doubt the refuge
>   people told him he'd just eliminated one percent of the world population).

Is it legal to shoot Snow Geese?

>   >I am sending directly to the original poster a few references I
>   >have for birding in Italy.

>   I, too, would be interested, although it is unlikely I will be birding in
>   Italy in the near future (but not impossible ; to confuse the situation

Please send a copy to me too, if it is not too much trouble, I collect
site information which I distribute to others as well as use myself.

annika forsten, finland