[rec.birds] INDOOR: Psittacosis and Cockatiels and Hatchlings

chris@unislc.uucp (Chris DelPrete) (05/29/91)

Well, the sad news is in.  The abused, one-winged cockatiel we took in was
carrying Psittacosis and has infected all of our birds.  A couple of questions:

1.  What are the symptoms in humans?  Details?  Experiences?

2.  Will we have to treat the baby birds?  What is the chance they have been
    born with immunity?

3.  Is it common for there to be secondary infections? Such as strep?

4.  What treatments are you familiar with?

5.  I have heard the medicine is hard to store, any information on that?

Any and all help is invited.  All I can say is I am glad that we spotted
it and finally figured out what it was.

-- chris
chris@unislc

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May29.155928.3660@unislc.uucp>, chris@unislc.uucp (Chris
DelPrete) writes:
> Well, the sad news is in.  The abused, one-winged cockatiel we took in was
> carrying Psittacosis and has infected all of our birds.  A couple of
questions:

That is totally typical of cockatiels as they are one of the most common
carriers of psittacosis.

> 1.  What are the symptoms in humans?  Details?  Experiences?

Flu type symptoms that do not respond to normal antibiotics.  Chiefly, these
symptoms include upper respiratory problems.  It goes away in a few days.  It's
a pain in the butt, but not dangerous except to infants, pregnant women, and
the elderly.

> 2.  Will we have to treat the baby birds?  What is the chance they have been
>     born with immunity?

YES, treat them!  And immediately.  Talk to your vet about baytril injections,
or, if your vet isn't quite up on the latest stuff, doxycycline oral
medication.  But if you use the oral, you MUST use nystatin oral medication to
counter yeast infections, AND acidophillus or lactobacillus to give the babies
some of their "good" flora back.

> 3.  Is it common for there to be secondary infections? Such as strep?

Yep.  Any time the immune system is compromised in a chick, there is a great
possibility of secondary infections.  If your vet uses baytril, then these
secondary infections are prevented or killed as a matter of course.  Doxy,
however, is a very specific drug that goes to microplasmic infections such as
psittacosis and will not be useful for strep or other bacterial based
infections.

> 4.  What treatments are you familiar with?

For adults, medicated pellets for 45 days is the old standard.  The latest
treatment that has come out is baytril (see above)

> 5.  I have heard the medicine is hard to store, any information on that?

Naw.  A fridge is fine.

> Any and all help is invited.  All I can say is I am glad that we spotted
> it and finally figured out what it was.

Be glad it was psittacosis.  It is one of the best known avian diseases and
thus vets can cure it pretty easily.  Just watch for the secondary stuff and
the yeast problems in chicks.  Good luck.  I've been through this before and
had the disease myself.  Much better to have that in the aviary than to have
one of the nasty viruses with no treatment available.

Out of curiosity, how did the vet come to the conclusion of psittacosis?  Only
one test is accurate in cockatiels for psittacosis and it's the same test used
for human clamidya (sp?).  The other test used for larger parrots is useful in
only 80% of the cases.  Necropsy is the only totally reliable method for
diagnosing psittacosis.

Mikki Barry
Natural Intelligence Aviaries