[rec.birds] recognition

jms@brahms.udel.edu (John Milbury-Steen) (05/31/91)

I have been interested in the discussion about whether the birds "know
who is feeding them."

Are you sure they are not simply doing a mechanical Pavlovian response,
such as "presence of this guy" means "food is on the way"?  It may be
even more simple-minded, since they apparently will not recognize you
without the right jacket: "sight of red jacket" indicates "food is on
the way."

Of course we all like to be loved, and it is normal to project gratitude
onto our bird friends, but a little positive conditioning could simulate
affection, could it not?

It is quite a leap from this statement:

"when the birds see my red jacket, they wait for food"

to this conclusion:

"the birds know that I am feeding them"

or even more radical conclusions:

"the birds are grateful to me and love me."

(I know this is provocative and don't mind a lot of flames.)
--
|   John Milbury-Steen   (302)451-2698   jms@sun.acs.udel.edu |
|   Office of Academic Computing and Instructional Technology |

drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) (06/01/91)

In article <21828@brahms.udel.edu> jms@brahms.udel.edu (John Milbury-Steen) writes:
>I have been interested in the discussion about whether the birds "know
>who is feeding them."
>
>Are you sure they are not simply doing a mechanical Pavlovian response,
>such as "presence of this guy" means "food is on the way"?  It may be
>even more simple-minded, since they apparently will not recognize you
>without the right jacket: "sight of red jacket" indicates "food is on
>the way."
>
>Of course we all like to be loved, and it is normal to project gratitude
>onto our bird friends, but a little positive conditioning could simulate
>affection, could it not?
>
>It is quite a leap from this statement:
>
>"when the birds see my red jacket, they wait for food"
>
>to this conclusion:
>
>"the birds know that I am feeding them"
>
>or even more radical conclusions:
>
>"the birds are grateful to me and love me."

Absolutely right.  A classic case occurs in colonies of nesting birds.
I don't remember the source, but several years back I heard about a
person doing research in a gull colony on the Farallon Islands.  He
always wore a specific stocking cap, and the gulls responded by mobbing
that stocking cap, no matter whose head it adorned.  When the same person
appeared without the stocking cap, he was not treated so viciously.
It is a real stretch to think that "your" birds recognize you as
the source of "their" food, and appreciate you for providing it.
They might recognize certain aspects of your face, if it is truly
memorable, but it is unlikely that you would be picked out of
a crowd by any of the birds that hang around your feeder....

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Dave Rintoul                      drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Biology Division - KSU                        id2418 on TCN
Manhattan KS 66506-4901                 FAX: (913)-532-6653
(913)-532-5832 or 6663
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Speed is more important when you are skating on thin ice...

gwynne@milton.u.washington.edu (Kristan Geissel) (06/01/91)

In article <21828@brahms.udel.edu> jms@brahms.udel.edu (John Milbury-Steen) writes:
>Are you sure they are not simply doing a mechanical Pavlovian response,
>such as "presence of this guy" means "food is on the way"?  It may be
>even more simple-minded, since they apparently will not recognize you
>without the right jacket: "sight of red jacket" indicates "food is on
>the way."
>
>Of course we all like to be loved, and it is normal to project gratitude
>onto our bird friends, but a little positive conditioning could simulate
>affection, could it not?

You're right, of course, as I pointed out in my story about the crow.  But
the first coot that I adopted went through stages of not recognizing the
different coats to recognizing me - period.  Also, it was the only one to
respond to "Is that my coot?".  I am not being facetious when I ask this:
at what point does a Pavlovian response stop being that?  Was it when we
got past the different "feathers" or was it when it started recognizing
my voice?  Did I turn into an outsized, funny looking coot to it, with
a different call or was it still merely fine tuning it's mechanical
response to a higher scale?  I still haven't been able to figure that out
even having fed it now for three seasons.  And regardless of it being a
Pavlovian response or not, I will always treasure sitting on an old
boat house with my coot snoozing at my feet.

Any bird psychologists out there who could answer the question posed
above? :)

Kristan Geissel

e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Gary Varner) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May31.195256.4285@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>
drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) writes:

>I don't remember the source, but several years back I heard about a
>person doing research in a gull colony on the Farallon Islands.  He
>always wore a specific stocking cap, and the gulls responded by mobbing
>that stocking cap, no matter whose head it adorned.  When the same person
>appeared without the stocking cap, he was not treated so viciously.

In NATURAL HISTORY magazine for 6/88 Larry Spear, researching gulls
on the Farallon islands argues that they recognized his FACE not his
characteristic CAP.

After extensive banding of the birds by him caused them to fly in
histeria above the rookery everytime he appeared (making it impossible
to continue his research on nesting behavior) he tried:

	1) wearing different clothes and a mask,
	2) wearing a mask but different clothes, and
	3) wearing different clothes but no mask.

In scenario (1) no reaction occurred, in scenario (2) none, but in
(3) there was the usual bedlam; from which he concluded that they were
recognizing his FACE.  He ended up wearing a painted-on clown's mask
to cntinue his research.

What you may be remembering is that when, under scenario (2), he
wore his characteristic cap, "a mild distress response ensued" (p. 8).
But because bedlam ensued when he went out dressed entirely differently
(and in fact walking with a limp) but without the mask, he concluded
that they recognize FACES.
|    |  |____    Gary Varner          "I just don't have much use |
| ___|       |   Philosophy           for people who stand around |
| \       *  |   Texas A&M                      in coats and ties |
|  \/\      /   e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu            and sip sherry" |
|_____\___/_______________________________________________________|

drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) (06/06/91)

Gary Varner (e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu) writes:
>In NATURAL HISTORY magazine for 6/88 Larry Spear, researching gulls
>on the Farallon islands argues that they recognized his FACE not his
>characteristic CAP.

Mea culpa.  I should have known better to try to remember
this factoid without looking up the reference.  Thanks
for straightening me out.  I hope to do better next time.

Dave Rintoul                   drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Biology Division
Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506-4901