[rec.birds] Do birds know who feeds them?

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (05/30/91)

I have a birdfeeder right outside my kitchen window.  I usually remember to
keep it filled.  When I go out on the front porch to fill it, the mourning
doves always sit on the phone wires and watch me (or in the tree).  They
don't fly right over or anything, but they do watch.

My question is, do they understand that I'm putting the food there for them?
When I forget to fill it, and they come over and see me through the kitchen
window, do they know it's me in there, who hasn't put the food in the feeder
(which is large and they can stand on)?

I don't really ask this out of guilt -- they get plenty of food; it's just
curiosity.  Do we know these things?  Can we extrapolate from pet birds?

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/30/91)

In article <25107@well.sf.ca.us> lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:
>My question is, do they understand that I'm putting the food there for them?
>When I forget to fill it, and they come over and see me through the kitchen
>window, do they know it's me in there, who hasn't put the food in the feeder
>(which is large and they can stand on)?

It certainly seems reasonable to me that birds recognize who feeds them.
Mourning doves, though not the brightest birds going, are not dumb
either, and we've heard here of red-winged blackbirds who recognize
"regular" humans, and pet birds know one human from another.  So why not?

Ruth

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (05/30/91)

In article <25107@well.sf.ca.us> lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:

>My question is, do they [birds] understand that I'm putting the food there
>[in the feeder] for them?

I would speculate yes based on anecdotal evidence.  Certainly birds
materialize on all the nearby tree branches when I start filling the
feeders.  A Blue Jay begs at my grandfather's sliding glass door for
peanuts. The Red-Bellied Woodpeckers at my father-in-law's house come
flying up and squawk loudly when they see anyone come outside -- again
looking for peanuts -- which they are very adept at snatching out of
the air.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.204808.7956@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) writes:
>In article <25107@well.sf.ca.us> lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:
>>My question is, do they understand that I'm putting the food there for them?
>>When I forget to fill it, and they come over and see me through the kitchen
>>window, do they know it's me in there, who hasn't put the food in the feeder
>>(which is large and they can stand on)?
>>
>It certainly seems reasonable to me that birds recognize who feeds them.
>Ruth

I would agree that they recognize you.  I had a blue jay near my last
house that would come by daily after the evening news for some peanuts.
At other times, if I went outside it would see me and come to a nearby
tree (10 feet or even less) and scream and otherwise beg for food.  It
would also sit in the shrubs near the picture window and "beg" when it
saw me sitting inside.

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov

gwynne@milton.u.washington.edu (Kristan Geissel) (05/31/91)

In article <25107@well.sf.ca.us> lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:

>(Text deleted re: birds and their feeders)

>My question is, do they understand that I'm putting the food there for them?
>When I forget to fill it, and they come over and see me through the kitchen
>window, do they know it's me in there, who hasn't put the food in the feeder
>(which is large and they can stand on)?

Yes, they do know who you are.  Over the past three years I have adopted
(was adopted by???) 2 different American Coots, a Northwestern Crow and
numerous (fortunately and unfortunately) Canada Geese.

When I started feeding my first Coot, it was recognizable by some missing
feathers on the back of its neck.  Two months went by and I had to rely on
it remembering me and come running towards me to have lunch with it.  However,
it did have a problem when I wore different "feathers" (coats) and then I
had to resort to walking up to different grass-grazing coots and asking them,
"Is that my coot?".  The correct one always responded but the others (coots and
people) just looked at me like I was crazy (wherever did they get that idea?).
Another thing amazing about this relationship was that it continued through
two migratory seasons, with the mate screeching at "my coot" anytime it got
too close to me for the mate's comfort.

The other coot was lame but it was only noticable in the water, it was much
more graceful on land though than most.  It, again, recognized me before I
recognized it.

The crow I feed is unusual in that some of its black pigmentation is missing
from its wings and tail so that he appears to be a black and white crow.
His parents both have pigmentation missing also and I wanted to start my own
genetics experiment by having the child stick around and maybe have more
"white" babies.  This crow only recognizes my tan rain coat "feathers" and
swoops over my head to get my attention if I hadn't looked for him first.

Yes, the birds do recognize you but it would be interesting to see what
would happen if you changed your "feathers".

Kristan Geissel

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (06/02/91)

Several people have thusfar been kind enough to reply to this query, but the
only birds anyone has referred to have been at least the size of a blue jay.
Well, my blue jays here know me, which I like, and I would love the
opportunity sometime to become familiar to a Canadian Goose or two, but what
I still find myself wondering is: what about the smaller ones: the finches
and sparrows, even the mourning doves and towhees (all of whom are regular
visitors to my feeder here in Berkeley, California)?  The less tame-able
ones . . . do they get to know individual humans, do you think?  Do they
know who feeds them?

sw@cbnewsl.att.com (Stuart Warmink) (06/04/91)

In article <25180@well.sf.ca.us>, lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:
> I still find myself wondering is: what about the smaller ones: [...]

Well, there is a pair of chicadees in my backyard who *expect* me to hand
feed them sunflower seeds every time I go outside. If not, I get a whole
barrage of noises thrown at me! Not to mention the attempts at landing on
my head...

But on the other hand (no pun intended...) they will eat out of anyones
hand as long as there are some sunflower seeds on it. Visitors think it
is great!
Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA  |  sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM  |       Hi!

JTHOMAS@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (06/04/91)

I can testify to the fact that our mockingburds know us & us alone.  When we
leave the house they wait & squawk for   (birds)  their raisins.  They know our
cars & will even peer in the house if they feel we've gone too long without
providing their snack.  Last year the parents brought the baby mockingbirds
once they were old enough.  When we leave town our dog/cat sitter has to feed
the birds but they don't come until he's far from the food.  They are quite
tame with us allowing us to get within a couple of feet from them.  It all
started when I was mocking them back one day.  Now I whistle a certain phrase
& they fly to their food spot & wait (unless of course, they initiated the
feeding with dirty looks & squawking).  I think it's really neat that these
most independent of birds have become almost pets.  We often sit on the porch
& whistle to get them to whistle back.  Invariably they improve the song & add
a few fanciful notes too.

wb9omc@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (06/06/91)

If I had to make a guess, I'd say YES with one qualification:

The best example of this I've seen is with the hummingbirds.  They
have let me get VERY close to them, where they would leave if any of
the neighbors even got near.  The hummers seem to know that they have
an edge in terms of escape, but I feel they don't fear me quite
so much as some of the other wild birds seem to.

In fact, I get the feeling that some of the hummers enjoy showing
off a bit.  There was a female at our previous apartment who had
been feeding regularly at our feeder.  One evening while I was out
back working on the birdbath/fountain she began buzzing me at
VERY close quarters until I stopped.  When I turned to try to figure
out just what she was all excited about, I found two little
hummers on the feeder perches!

It seemed pretty obvious that these were her offspring and that she
was determined to show them to me.  As time went by, it was not
uncommon to see the three of them together at the feeder, happily
humming and feeding.  When the fall migration came about they seemed
to get rather silly, gorging on the nectar and then chasing each
other about, poking each other with the beak!

I was sad to see them go, but I was happy to get a couple of pictures
of them through the windows (gee, a family portrait of sorts).

On a related note, hummer experts - Are the male Ruby-Throats generally
reclusive?  That same summer previously mentioned we DID have a
male visit once or twice only, and he was less tolerant of me
being around.  Pretty though...

Duane