[rec.birds] Burning Birding Questions

drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) (06/04/91)

The following is a monthly feature in our Audubon chapter
newsletter; its title is "Burning Birding Questions".  If
acceptable, I will try to post it every month for your
edification.  Some of the allusions may be local, but most
items are of general interest.  If you have any Burning
Birding Questions of your own, please feel free to e-mail
them to me (drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu) and I will try to
get them answered.  Good Birding.

1.  Since you claim to be both ancient and venerable, perhaps you
can answer this question from personal experience.  I have been
told that goldfinches, which are incredibly common at my feeder
presently, do not nest until later in the year, since they use
thistle down to line their nests.  I also understand that the
common thistle in the state was introduced from Asia in the 19th
century.  What did goldfinches do before they had thistle down?
Did they have the same nesting schedule in pre-settlement days
as they do now?

Excellent question.  But first of all, I don't understand how it
can be that you consider the numbers of goldfinches at your
feeder to be incredible.  Are you suggesting that I should not
believe your observation?  Or that you don't believe your
observation?  If this is true, then bird watching must (with
apologies to Brace Beamer) "return . . . to the days of
yesteryear, when out of the past comes the sound of the . . ."
shotgun as the only way to verify a bird observation!

But back to thistles.  To answer your question I had to turn to
someone more ancient and venerable than myself; I consulted Ted
Barkley (who many NFHAS members know as the benefactor
responsible for "The Barkley" awarded at the annual Christmas
Bird Count compilation), who is the editor of The Flora of the
Great Plains.  In this hefty tome, 11 thistles are listed, only
one of which has been introduced.  I also checked the plant list
for Konza Prairie to obtain a local perspective.  There are 4
thistles on that list, one of which is exotic.  So one can
probably assume that goldfinches and thistles  have coexisted at
least since the Pleistocene.  Goldfinches have never been without
thistle down, existing through time by adjusting the light-driven
timing of their reproductive cycle to match the phenology of the
thistle.  Now, that's a wonderment and does almost border on the
"incredible!"

I suspect, however, that you are thinking of the musk thistle,
which actually is in a different group.  There are two
"plumeless" thistles listed in The Flora, and both of them are
exotic.  Musk thistles invade habitats which have been severely
degraded by human activities; that the musk thistle is the
"common thistle in the state" and a problem is an indictment of
our maladaptive agricultural practices.

2.  How can I keep ants from emptying my hummingbird feeder every
day?

Unless you are a respondent from east of Kansas City, I find it
"incredible" that you are actually feeding hummingbirds (except
in late summer and early fall when they indeed become more
frequent around Manhattan).  There are several solutions to your
problem:  1) my most preferred suggestion is to provide a reservoir
for your hummingbird feeder that contains more sugar solution
than the ants can consume in one day,  2) erect your hummingbird
feeder in the center of a bird bath and make sure that you keep
the moat full of water,  3) although less environmentally
preferred, erect your feeder in a basin containing a solution of
insecticide,  4) if it's a hanging feeder, you might suspend it
from one of those electrical gadgets that fries insects when they
touch it.

As most of my faithful readers know, my own solution would be to
just refill the feeder; ants are as much a part of nature as
hummingbirds.

martin@geovision.gvc.com (Martin Taylor ) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.212337.2512@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) writes:

>2.  How can I keep ants from emptying my hummingbird feeder every day?

My father-in-law has found a solution that works for him.  He hangs his
hummingbird feeder from a hook in the eaves of his cottage.  Around the
hook he stuck double-sided tape so that it completely surrounded the hook.
The ants won't cross the double-sided tape and thus have no way to get
at the feeder.

--
Martin Taylor (martin@geovision.gvc.com)

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (06/05/91)

David A Rintoul was kind enough to share with us his entirely delightful and
fascinating "burning bird questions"; one addition:  what I do to prevent
the ants from getting at the hummer feeder is to hang the feeder from a
plant hanger, and then spray the hanger with furniture polish!

Lemon scented.

The polish washes off at the first rain and thus never harms the birds,
should they land on the hanger, but I guess the ants learn, cause they never
come back.

zepf (06/06/91)

In <1613@geovision.gvc.com> martin@geovision.gvc.com (Martin Taylor ) writes:

>In article <1991Jun3.212337.2512@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> drintoul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David A Rintoul) writes:
>>
>>2.  How can I keep ants from emptying my hummingbird feeder every day?
>>
>My father-in-law has found a solution that works for him.  He hangs his
>hummingbird feeder from a hook in the eaves of his cottage.  Around the
>hook he stuck double-sided tape so that it completely surrounded the hook.
>The ants won't cross the double-sided tape and thus have no way to get
>at the feeder.

I have always hung mine from a hook or swivel mount, and put Vaseline
on the wire. The ants can't cross the vaseline, though some seem to die
trying. You have to replace the goo every several months or so, depending
on the weather.
  Sun      Tom Zepf           zepf@central.sun.com         Work: 719-594-6018
     /\                                                    Fax:  719-548-1009
  /\/  \   Rocky Mountain Technology Center
 /  \   \  Sun Microsystems  5465 Mark Dabling Blvd.; Colo. Springs, CO 80918

jbm@safn2.UUCP (John McClatchey) (06/06/91)

> >>2.  How can I keep ants from emptying my hummingbird feeder every day?
>
> I have always hung mine from a hook or swivel mount, and put Vaseline
> on the wire. The ants can't cross the vaseline, though some seem to die
> trying. You have to replace the goo every several months or so, depending
> on the weather.

I have tried lots of vaseline, but the ants always make it through.  Perhaps
the vaseline is not so viscous in the summer down south.  I have hung the
feeder by a strip of fly paper.  That works for a while, but the stickum
hardens after a week.