[rec.birds] INDOOR: cockatoo questions

brookb@tester.UUCP (Brook Burson) (01/24/91)

I have a medium sulfer crested cockatoo, and though that some of you might
be able to enlighten me on your knowledge and experience.  His name is
Bonzo, and he's a 5 year old, hand raised male.

1) Most of the time, Bonzo is a very sweet
bird.  However, there are times when he gets mad due to too little attention.
(These are rare occasions when I'm working a lot or out of town)
There are also times when he is out for a while and gets very excited and
rambunctious.  At these times, he is likely to bite - and bite hard.  To
say that these bites hurt is inadequate.  Fingers, ears, and ankles can become
a bloody mess.  In the past, punishment was the answer.  I'd spray him hard
in the face with a water bottle.  He hates it.  I actually hit him once
(It didn't hurt him - just scared him.  It was after an extremely bad bite -
I was too mad to stop myself) and he was
much worse for a long time after that.  Anyway, I've learned that hitting
isn't good, and any punishment isn't good unless it occurs within a couple
of seconds of the time he does what you don't want him to do.  Obvious solutions
are to always give him all the attention he wants, and to learn when he
is getting rambunctious so that I can be cautious.  I try these, but there
are still times when I'm away for a while and when he gets in a wierd mood
that I don't detect.  Finally, the question:  is there anything that you
can do to keep the bird from biting?  What is the best method of punishment
if he does?  Any other comments?

2) I know Cockatoos aren't good talkers, but it seems like Bonzo could
learn a few more words.  All he ever says is 'hello'.  I've tried to
teach him 'pretty bird' for 3 years now.  No Luck.  Any ideas?

3) Cockatoos are also good screamers.  Do you know any way to get them to
scream less.  I don't want to cover his cage every time he decides to go
into a screaming frenzy.

4) Dust.  Bonzo is really dusty.  Do you know of any way to keep dust from
getting on everything that's anywhere near the cage?

Thanks in advance!

< Brook Burson (brookb@tester.phx.mcd.mot.com)                             >
< (602)224-9400                                                            >
<                                                                          >
<        "Listen and think of ALL of the possibilities before you judge."  >

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (01/26/91)

In article <14457@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, brookb@tester.UUCP (Brook Burson)
writes:
> can do to keep the bird from biting?  What is the best method of punishment
> if he does?  Any other comments?

This may be the most difficult thing you ever do, but when the bird bites,
do NOTHING.  Calmly put him back in his cage.  He is biting you to elicit
a "free show".

> 2) I know Cockatoos aren't good talkers, but it seems like Bonzo could
> learn a few more words.  All he ever says is 'hello'.  I've tried to
> teach him 'pretty bird' for 3 years now.  No Luck.  Any ideas?

Stop trying.  The bird may surprise you.

> 3) Cockatoos are also good screamers.  Do you know any way to get them to
> scream less.  I don't want to cover his cage every time he decides to go
> into a screaming frenzy.

Don't let him elicit a reaction.  Get ear plugs :-).  Don't encourage him
by giving him the attention he wants (even if its bad attention) when he
screams.

> 4) Dust.  Bonzo is really dusty.  Do you know of any way to keep dust from
> getting on everything that's anywhere near the cage?

I swear by Smokemasters.  They're expensive, but they sure get rid of the
cockatoo dust!

Mikki Barry
Natural Intelligence Aviaries
Home of the Electric Cockatoo--

helen@argosy.UUCP (Helen Kastner) (01/26/91)

Thank heavens for Mikki! I've learned a lot from her about my
Moluccan (salmon-crested) in just a few
mails.  Another cockatoo owner told me that living with
one is much like having a killer 2-year in the house.
In article <27A095AD.1A36@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>In article <14457@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, brookb@tester.UUCP (Brook Burson)
>writes:
>> can do to keep the bird from biting?  What is the best method of punishment
>> if he does?  Any other comments?
>
>This may be the most difficult thing you ever do, but when the bird bites,
>do NOTHING.  Calmly put him back in his cage.  He is biting you to elicit
>a "free show".
I can get bird-bit (nipped, mostly) when "playing rough," the same way
a dog can get overexcited and bite too hard.  And walking away or
telling him to "go home" (go back in his cage) calms him down.

>> teach him 'pretty bird' for 3 years now.  No Luck.  Any ideas?
>
>Stop trying.  The bird may surprise you.
that's a LOT;
all I get are "syllables"; one erk for food, two erks for water, drawn
out erk for rub my body all over.

>> 3) Cockatoos are also good screamers.  Do you know any way to get them to
>
>Don't let him elicit a reaction.  Get ear plugs :-).  Don't encourage him
yeah, but he has that "get yourself in here" squawk that he starts
when he hears my car; since I always go in the apt.; he always wins.
Mikki, there are so many different calls (territorial, playtime,
exuberance, demanding), have you managed to control/halt some of
them?

>> 4) Dust.  Bonzo is really dusty.  Do you know of any way to keep dust from
>
>I swear by Smokemasters.  They're expensive, but they sure get rid of the
>cockatoo dust!
Thank you! I thought I was doomed to live in a bird-talc environment!

Mikki - any noticeably consistent behaviors between hand-raised
and imported cockatoos?

>Mikki Barry
>Natural Intelligence Aviaries
>Home of the Electric Cockatoo--

hk
helen@maspar.com                      right-brain person in
MasPar Computer Corporation           a left-brain job
Sunnyvale, CA

network@zeus.unomaha.edu (01/26/91)

> I have a medium sulfer crested cockatoo, and though that some of you might
> be able to enlighten me on your knowledge and experience.  His name is
> Bonzo, and he's a 5 year old, hand raised male.
>
> 1) Most of the time, Bonzo is a very sweet
> bird.  However, there are times when he gets mad due to too little attention.
> (These are rare occasions when I'm working a lot or out of town)
> There are also times when he is out for a while and gets very excited and
> rambunctious.  At these times, he is likely to bite - and bite hard.  To
> say that these bites hurt is inadequate.  Fingers, ears, and ankles can become
> a bloody mess.  In the past, punishment was the answer.  I'd spray him hard
> in the face with a water bottle.  He hates it.  I actually hit him once
> (It didn't hurt him - just scared him.  It was after an extremely bad bite -
> I was too mad to stop myself) and he was
> much worse for a long time after that.  Anyway, I've learned that hitting
> isn't good, and any punishment isn't good unless it occurs within a couple
> of seconds of the time he does what you don't want him to do.  Obvious solutions
> are to always give him all the attention he wants, and to learn when he
> is getting rambunctious so that I can be cautious.  I try these, but there
> are still times when I'm away for a while and when he gets in a wierd mood
> that I don't detect.  Finally, the question:  is there anything that you
> can do to keep the bird from biting?  What is the best method of punishment
> if he does?  Any other comments?
Cockatoos are known for being hot-tempered clowns.  If bonzo didnt' get
'rambunctious' once in a while then I'd say you had a bird in trouble.
Everytime he bites hard try carefully tossing him out away from you
(not at the floor or at anything) and firmly saying no then step
away from him.  Another thing is to firmly say no right away then
place him in his cage for 10 minutes.  Longer than that will not teach
him anything (but may make you feel better ;-)

> 2) I know Cockatoos aren't good talkers, but it seems like Bonzo could
> learn a few more words.  All he ever says is 'hello'.  I've tried to
> teach him 'pretty bird' for 3 years now.  No Luck.  Any ideas?
Some birds have trouble learning new words.  Most Cockatoo's that learn
a word use 'hello'.  Pretty is a complicated word to form.  Perhaps you
could try saying 'love you' a few times before you let him out of his
cage and before you pick him up (when he want's picked up).  He should
soon learn that 'love you' is a good thing to ask for and may even say it.
Bonzo may be bitting just because he gets excited, not out of fear or
anger.  If he seems like he wants to 'goof out' try holding a thick
peice of rope for him to go crazy on while you hold him and it in the
air but keep you fingers (and face) out of his reach.

> 3) Cockatoos are also good screamers.  Do you know any way to get them to
> scream less.  I don't want to cover his cage every time he decides to go
> into a screaming frenzy.
A good bet is that Bonzo screams because he want's something and it's his
way of letting you know (I bet he does not scream if he thinks your not
around).  Your right it's hard to punish a bird and if you try to punish
Bonzo for screaming he might replace that with more biting.  I imagine
that what is really needed is to set some patterns in his life.
Each time you come home let Bonzo out of his cage and spend some time
with him, even if it's only 15 minutes, but longer would be better.
Then put him back in his cage for a while with some sort of toy
(cockatoos need a lot of chewable toys).  Then get him out for more
attention.  He will learn to expect to be put in his cage and that
screaming is not an out.  If he screams when your not holding him, that
may be his way of staying in contact with you.  Flocks of wild cockatoos
will often call to each other in initial flight.

> 4) Dust.  Bonzo is really dusty.  Do you know of any way to keep dust from
> getting on everything that's anywhere near the cage?
A healthy cockatoo gives off a lot of dust.  Feel good that Bonzo is
feeling good.  Try introducing him to mist showers to help reduce the
powder.  Start by letting him taste the mist from a plant misting bottle.
After a week get a little on his feet, then his wings.  It may take time
but it's good for him and he may learn to love it.  Make sure the room
is plenty warm at the time, you may even need to blowdry him if he likes
to get very wet to avoid the chance of colds.

> Thanks in advance!

> < Brook Burson (brookb@tester.phx.mcd.mot.com)                             >
> < (602)224-9400                                                            >
> <                                                                          >
> <        "Listen and think of ALL of the possibilities before you judge."  >

My cockatoo used to scream a lot, ite at time, only say helloand get dust
over me and everything else.  Now he screams only some of the time, bites
only my mother's ears (mommy munches), says a better hellow and gets blamed
for the house being so dusty everywhere (even where he does not go).

Steven Lendt
Email: SLendt@Zeus.UNOmaha.EDU

cjqx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/11/91)

Hi, my name is Kate and I've been tuning in periodically over the last year.
I have a couple of questions about my two(?) year-old female umbrella cockatoo
that maybe someone could enlighten me about:

1) I have never seen Kala sleep with her head tucked behind her wing, or in any
other position than sort of hunched down on the perch. Is this normal for a
cockatoo? In fact, probably related to her sleeping position, is that I've
never really seen her sleep! She always wakes up when I come into the room, and
never sleeps while I'm there. I keep her in the living room, out of the main
traffic area, but she is free to fly to the couch if she wants. She seems to be
healthy and all, she just doesn't sleep!

2) Kala also has a deathly fear of sticks. I've been trying to stick train her
on and off for a year. At first it wasn't so bad, because her grip wasn't very
strong, but now it's fierce! BTW, she was wild caught and has had this fear
since I bought her. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to help her
overcome her fear? I've even tried using perches from her cage, and that
doesn't help. The minute it moves by itself, it's a monster!

Any and all comments will be appreciated!

Kate

mary@inmet.inmet.com (06/13/91)

/* Written  9:44 pm  Jun 10, 1991 by cjqx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu in inmet:rec.birds */
/* ---------- "INDOOR: cockatoo questions" ---------- */
>Hi, my name is Kate and I've been tuning in periodically over the last year.
Congratulations Kate, for owning a wonderful breed of bird!  My name is
Mary and I owned a medium sulfer-crested cockatoo named Sunkist.  My boyfriend
and I bought her when she was 14 weeks old and still being hand-fed.
I dug up all the bird books I could find, talked to breeders and Avian Vets
so that our bird would live a long and healthy life.  We gave our bird more
freedom around the house that we realized was good for her considering her
age.  Cockatoos can live 60 to 80 years so they are baby's for a long time -
about 4 years and they act like them too!  The one thing that cockatoos like
to do is to walk/wander around and if you are not paying close attention to
WHERE they are ALL the time, they will soon be underfoot. Unfortunately, our
bird was climbing the stairs and my boyfriend accidentally stepped on her.
He had a large box in his hand and didn't see her.  In telling you this story,
I hope that you will take extra precautions with Kala as she continues to grow
an wonder.
>I have a couple of questions about my two(?) year-old female umbrella cockatoo
>that maybe someone could enlighten me about:

>1) I have never seen Kala sleep with her head tucked behind her wing, or in
>any other position than sort of hunched down on the perch. Is this normal
>for a cockatoo? In fact, probably related to her sleeping position, is that
>I've never really seen her sleep! She always wakes up when I come into the
>room, and never sleeps while I'm there. I keep her in the living room, out
>of the main traffic area, but she is free to fly to the couch if she wants.
>She seems to be healthy and all, she just doesn't sleep!

Sunkist rarely slept with her head tucked behind her wing.  She would also
sleep hunched down on the perch at night.  I don't think this way of sleeping
is a problem as long as Kala is perfectly healthy and active during the day.
Just in case the obvious is not overlooked, do you cover her cage at night?
Cockatoos need around 10 to 12 hours of sleep.  Sunkist would also wakeup
when we would enter the room. Kala probally doesn't wanted to miss out on
any action going on.  Young cockatoos that are by themselves tend to form
a much stronger bond to its owner(s).  As they become sexual mature, the
bond get even stronger. They can become depressed and despondent without a
mate.  It may be something you should consider when Kala is around 6 years
old.

>2) Kala also has a deathly fear of sticks. I've been trying to stick train her
>on and off for a year. At first it wasn't so bad, because her grip wasn't very
>strong, but now it's fierce! BTW, she was wild caught and has had this fear
>since I bought her. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to help her
>overcome her fear? I've even tried using perches from her cage, and that
>doesn't help. The minute it moves by itself, it's a monster!
My guess is that when Kala was captured, sticks where used to prevent her
from using her powerful beak on fingers.  She may never overcome that fear
of sticks.  They have outstanding memories!  Keeping her nails clipped will
help to ease the pain of handling her.  Sunkist had to learn to balance herself
on our arms and shoulders and at first she held on for dear life.  I know
how hard they can grip!  but as her balance improved her grip loosend up.
I could get going at a pretty good clip up the stairs or around corners
and she'd be leaning into the turn enjoying the ride.
Good luck with the training, it take lots of time (daily) and patience to
undo fear!
Hope I was of some help!  I'd like to hear about her more when you have the
time.
Mary
>Any and all comments will be appreciated!

Kate
/* End of text from inmet:rec.birds */