[rec.birds] Help..Urgent....

afsidbb@cid.aes.doe.CA (Douglas Bender) (06/11/91)

   A Robins nest containing three babies fell from our eavestrough
   yesterday during a storm. My wife and I gave them a drink of water
   then put them back in the nest and returned the nest. The mother has
   not returned !!!
   We fed the babies worms this morning and some sugared water. What
   should we do? There are other Robins around but...........

   Two of the babies have feathers but they can not fly....but not from
   lack of trying. The third is just getting its feathers.

   Please email as soon as possible!!!!

   Thanks

		Doug

Douglas Bender                      Canadian Meteorological Center
Programmer/Analyst                  dbender@cmc.aes.doe.ca
                                    (514) 421-4649

     " You're never alone with a schizophrenic ! " - Ian Hunter

Douglas Bender                      Canadian Meteorological Center

ghost@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Glenn Host) (06/12/91)

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 08:40:30 EDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: ghost

421 Host cid.aes.doe.ca not found for mailer tcp.
550 afsidbb@cid.aes.doe.CA... Host unknown

>   A Robins nest containing three babies fell from our eavestrough
>   yesterday during a storm. My wife and I gave them a drink of water
>   then put them back in the nest and returned the nest. The mother has
>   not returned !!!
>   We fed the babies worms this morning and some sugared water. What
>   should we do? There are other Robins around but...........
>
>   Two of the babies have feathers but they can not fly....but not from
>   lack of trying. The third is just getting its feathers.
>
>   Please email as soon as possible!!!!
>
>   Thanks
>
>		Doug

>Douglas Bender                      Canadian Meteorological Center
>Programmer/Analyst                  dbender@cmc.aes.doe.ca
>                                    (514) 421-4649

Once you have touched the birds the parents will not come back.

It is possible that the mother bird died and the babies wandered from the
nest looking for food.
I found that the same thing happen with some baby racoons; we found
the racoons wandering around the barn - the mother was found nearby
the next day - she had been hit by a car.

Find a local bird shop with baby bird formula; it may not be designed
for robins but it is probably the best thing you will be able to find.

You may try the local humane society to see if they know of anyone who
takes care of lost wild animals.

As a last resort call the zoo and ask for information on raising wild
baby birds.

Good luck
--
Glenn Host - Senior Systems Analyst (ghost@ra.nrl.navy.mil)
NRL Code 5800, 4555 Overlook Ave.; Washington, DC 20375   (202) 767-2046

e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Gary Varner) (06/13/91)

In article <345@ra.nrl-cmf.UUCP> ghost@ra.UUCP (Glenn Host) writes:

>Once you have touched the birds the parents will not come back.

This is false.  Sometimes parents will throw a chick out of the nest,
and if you put it back they'll do it again.  But when this happens
it is because the chick is defective somehow, NOT because a human
being touched it.

Illustration:  last spring a chickadee was blown from its nest during
a storm before it was capable of flying.  I fed it a mixture of hard
boiled egg yolk, bred crumbs and milk (the former two scratched through
a fine strainer and just enough of the latter added to make a thick
goop that I squeezed through a syringe into his beak) for three or four
days (almost every half hour from dawn to dusk!) while keeping him free
lofted in ;my bathroom.  When he could fly and perch well I put him in
a pet carrier and walked around the area I'd found him in until a pair
of chickadees reacted to his calls.  When I let him out, he flew up and
both chickadees swooped down to join him in a formation flight into a tree.
I watched for twenty minutes to insure that they were feeding him, which
they were.
|    |  |____    Gary Varner                                    |
| ___|       |   Philosophy      "It's too late to die young."  |
| \       *  |   Texas A&M                     -- Gregg Brown   |
|  \/\      /   e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu                          |
|_____\___/_____________________________________________________|

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (06/13/91)

In article <345@ra.nrl-cmf.UUCP> ghost@ra.UUCP (Glenn Host) writes:
>Once you have touched the birds the parents will not come back.

   Would I ever like to see the end of this old-wives tale!  No, this
simply IS NOT TRUE.  Wild birds can be returned to the nest and if the
parents wanted to feed them before, they will continue to feed them upon
their return.  Remember that the parents will frequently throw weak babies
out of the nest.  If that baby is returned, it will be thrown out again;
this has nothing to do with being touched by humans.

>Find a local bird shop with baby bird formula; it may not be designed
>for robins but it is probably the best thing you will be able to find.

  Nutristart (available from many veternarians) is suitable for feeding
wild birds.  Remember that they should be fed every 15 minutes 24 hours
per day - taking a bird from a nest implies a huge commitment.

    Stewart

--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/14/91)

>   Nutristart (available from many veternarians) is suitable for feeding
> wild birds.  Remember that they should be fed every 15 minutes 24 hours
> per day - taking a bird from a nest implies a huge commitment.

It has been my experience (over 300 cockatiels, and several wild birds) that
this is just not entirely true.  It depends on how old (how large the crop) the
bird is.  For example when you take cockatiels out of the nest at 10 days of
age you need to feed them just about 6-8 times a day, depending on the
individual bird, and what you are feeding them.  at about 20 days of age you
are probably feeding about 3-4 times a day.  Then its down hill from there.

A day old chick will require more water than food at the beginning, they don't
have a lot of body weight and tend to dehydrate rather quickly.  Day old chicks
I feed usually get feed about once every 40 minutes or so.  From 8am-midnight.
Then I get up once during the evening and feed again.  Parents will feed at
night but realize that they can't just go out and find more food in the middle
of the night.  YES it is a HUGE commitment, but not nearing as time consuming
as one would think.

Very young chicks I have are feed watered down Lory food, which is a lot of
vitamins and glucose.  This keeps them going while they grow that first day or
so, then I switch to something more solid (but still with a lot of liquid in
it).  You need to be careful not to dehydrate or underfeed.  There is a fine
balance with a young chick, and sometimes experience is the only thing that
keeps chicks alive.  Good luck.  Rosemary Low has a book on the care and
handfeeding of baby birds, there is a section dealing with wild birds in there
as well.  Insect eaters have a higher protein requirement than seed eaters.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh