[rec.birds] Birds in my boat

<PNU@psuvm.psu.edu> (06/16/91)

An enterprising bird (looks like some type of swallow) has built a nest in
my sailboat, stored at a lake in central Pa. The eggs hatched about three
weeks ago: how long before I can expect the youngsters to vacate the premises
and give me my boat back? How do I go about dissuading birds from nesting
there in the future (I destroyed three nests before I found one with eggs, so
the bird is nothing if not persistent). Any comments would be appreciated- I'd
really like to sail my boat some!

                                                Jon Peters

bluejay@feathr.enet.dec.com (Bluejay Adametz) (06/17/91)

In article <91167.092735PNU@psuvm.psu.edu>, PNU@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>How do I go about dissuading birds from nesting
>there in the future (I destroyed three nests before I found one with eggs, so
>the bird is nothing if not persistent).

One technique I've used with a fair amount of success around my airplane is to
get 3 or 4 of those real life-like rubber snakes and distribute them around
the aircraft/watercraft.

The trick to making this work is to move the snakes around frequently - I used
to do this daily (my airplane is hangered now). If you don't move them around
the birds will catch on fairly quickly.

						- Bluejay Adametz
						  AA-5B   N45210