[rec.birds] Importing parrots for genetic variability

rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) (06/12/91)

We need some input from a geneticist here, but my understanding
was that the deleterious effects of inbreeding essentially
disappear after 4-5 generations.  There are lots of wild populations
of animals that--doubtless as a consequence of having been bottle-
necked--have essentially no genetic variation that seem to be doing
all right, e.g. northern elephant-seal, cheetah.  One would guess
that there is very little variation in things like the whooping
crane.  I'm not saying that genetic variation isn't "a good thing,"
but if your parrots are always sickly maybe it has something to do
with their captive situation (the food, or what have you).  This
does not strike me as an obvious a priori argument to capture wild
birds the enhance the captive breeding populations.  At least,
let's get some input from geneticists about how best to do this
before we jump on that bandwagon:  how many new birds are needed
to achieve the desired effect?  what is the desired effect? how do
we best breed the birds?  etc?  Weren't all present domestic hamsters
descended from a single gravid female?  Is our goal to have "healthy
and happy pets" or to preserve genetic variation in wild populations?
(I realize that there may soon be no wild populations of some of these
species.)
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.131020.22423@zoo.toronto.edu> rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) writes:
>We need some input from a geneticist here, but my understanding
>was that the deleterious effects of inbreeding essentially
>disappear after 4-5 generations.

    I've not heard this before, so I'm open to possibilities.  I would
have thought that inbred birds could become substantially more likely
to be wiped out by a disease.  For example, some wild parrots exhibit
natural resistance to PBFD, while most do not.  If this were a genetic
trait ...  I'd be most curious too about possible adverse affects on
reproductive rates induced by inbreeding extensively.

    Also, I know that the Loridae and Amazonia consortiums are quite
concerned about maintaining genetic diversity.  These groups have many
'knowledgeable' individuals in them.  These organizations are both going
to the trouble of using genetic 'fingerprinting' to determine how best to
avoid inbreeding there birds.  Maybe I jumped to a bad conclusion.

>There are lots of wild populations
>of animals that--doubtless as a consequence of having been bottle-
>necked--have essentially no genetic variation that seem to be doing
>all right, e.g. northern elephant-seal, cheetah.  One would guess
>that there is very little variation in things like the whooping
>crane.

    Valid Point.

>I'm not saying that genetic variation isn't "a good thing,"
>but if your parrots are always sickly maybe it has something to do
>with their captive situation (the food, or what have you).

   I only had one pair of Princess of Wales (if it's my previous
comments your refering too) and they were housed in a large flight
(they could fly) and had a good diet.  My observation was really
more based on the fact that every Princess of Wales I have seen in
captivity (with ONE exception) has had the same less-than-healthy
appearance.

>This
>does not strike me as an obvious a priori argument to capture wild
>birds the enhance the captive breeding populations.  At least,
>let's get some input from geneticists about how best to do this
>before we jump on that bandwagon:  how many new birds are needed
>to achieve the desired effect?  what is the desired effect? how do
>we best breed the birds?  etc?

   Agreed ... I'm not suggesting we strip every bird out of it's
natural environment and put it in a cage ... far from that, but
if a total ban is coming in 5 years do we have time to find out
the importance of genetic diversity?

> Weren't all present domestic hamsters descended from a single gravid female?

>Is our goal to have "healthy and happy pets" or to preserve genetic variation
>in wild populations?

   I think both are important and both are possible.

>(I realize that there may soon be no wild populations of some of these
>species.)

   Yes, and it's not just parrots.  North American songbirds are much
less well populated that 30 years ago ... it's the same story around
the world.  I think it would be really nice if aviculturalists could
do something of value, but it's difficult to know what the best
approachs to such a big problem are.  It seems to me that the POSSIBILITY
of something good exists, when we have a 'hobby' and an 'industry' that
could be acting in the longterm interests of wildlife management.  This
is one area where conservationists can really contribute by not outright
condemming the pet trade, but rather saying 'we would support if it was
managed in the following way.'

   Stewart
--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/13/91)

(Jim Rising) writes:
> I'm not saying that genetic variation isn't "a good thing,"
> but if your parrots are always sickly maybe it has something to do
> with their captive situation (the food, or what have you).  This
> does not strike me as an obvious a priori argument to capture wild
> birds the enhance the captive breeding populations.  At least,

Obviously not written by anyone who has every breed birds.  Look, the situation
is that the bigger the gene pool the better.  If for example we bring in 400
pairs of Moluccan Cockatoos and over 5 years (it takes on average about 4-5
years to get a wild caught pair to breed) only 50 pairs produce chicks, then we
obviously end up with a gene pool only consisting of those 50 pairs.  The way
things are working now those other 350 pairs may never breed.  The reasons for
why there is not a good rate are many, and not entirely understood.  (More
field research is needed, but there is no time..)

But if for example every 2 years another 100 pairs were brought in and checked
for health (better than what is currently done), NOT medicated out the wazoo,
and in general treated better (perhaps 1 or two pairs per crate instead of the
50-100 birds per crate now (which is only one reason why I am against continued
imports of birds).  I believe that this would bring up the production rate, and
would in the long run relieve the threat that some of these species are under.

As an aside, to successfully breed, you need to be feeding the absolute best
diet that science knows about for parrots.  So sickly chicks have little to do
with food.  Parrots will not breed in close quarters, they need room.  So their
situation has little to do with sickly chicks.  Those factors have to do with
sickly pairs, and good breeders do what is needed in order to insure that their
birds are not only healthy, but have what they need to produce.  After all most
of these breeders have several thousands of dollars invested, not only in the
birds themselves, but also in their facilities.

The plan that I would like to see and am going to work for is basically:

1. Stop imports for the pet trade. Period.

2. Allow imports of birds for "certified" breeding centers, not just Zoo's.
Zoo's have their place but they are mainly for people to go see animals at.
Breeding Parrots just don't really work when people are streaming by (like at
the National Zoo in DC where they have been trying to breed endangered Black
Palms for the last several years in a small cage with people snapping flash
pictures at them).  It just doesn't work.

3. Lobby all countries who now allow no exports of Parrots to open up slightly
for exporting birds to breeding centers around the world.  Perhaps with some
sort of pay back by getting young birds to release into the wild.

Obviously this all takes money to manage.  That's why you would also need some
way of generating income from the birds brought into the country.  Breeders for
the most part would be more than willing to pay extra for pairs if they knew
that they had been WELL taken care of on the way into the country.  Money can
be generate from this and from the sales of domestic breed baby birds.

This solution is not complete, but it is better than just cutting off the
imports of birds that will either die off entirely or be smuggled in anyway.
The buying public is just not aware of what is going on either.

> let's get some input from geneticists about how best to do this
> before we jump on that bandwagon:  how many new birds are needed
> to achieve the desired effect?  what is the desired effect? how do
> we best breed the birds?  etc?  Weren't all present domestic hamsters
> descended from a single gravid female?  Is our goal to have "healthy
> and happy pets" or to preserve genetic variation in wild populations?
> (I realize that there may soon be no wild populations of some of these
> species.)

The goal as I see it is both.  We need to have healthy domestic pets to deal
with the demand that is being put on the wild populations, but we also need to
provide essentially a Noah's Ark service for those species going out of
existence.  Hamsters breed far to readily and far to often to be equated with
Parrots.  The youngest most parrots breed is at about 5 years of age, with most
older than that.  If you start running averages, and numbers out into the
future you see that within about 10 years not only will the wild population be
gone for the most part, but the growth of the domestic population will fall
off.  New pairs setup today will not produce (on average) until five years from
now.  There is not enough production of domestic birds today to fullfil demand
and to save birds back for future production and preservation.

One example that I know is the Rose Breasted Cockatoo from Austrailia.  This
bird is not endangered, however it does illustrate some of the problems that I
am talking about.  This bird breeds fairly readily, ask anyone from Austrailia,
but even so, here in the US, where new birds have not been brought into the
country since (I think) 1960, there still are not very many breeding pairs.
After Austrailia cut off exports we were left with whatever was in the coutry
at the time.  The prices (which is a good indication of how many are available)
for these birds has remained high $3,500+.  They are just now starting to get
well established in breeding populations in the US.  Had we been able to get a
few pairs every so often I think that there would be a larger and more viable
population of these birds in the US.  There are other species of Austrailian
birds that have died off in the US becuase of several factors, original
population size being amoung them.

Anyway I could go on about this for a while, the end picture is that to totally
cut off imports is sticking our heads in the sand and hoping that the problem
will go away.  It won't.  The Moluccan Cockatoo is under the dual pressures of
habitat destruction and wide spread desease, in addition to capture for the pet
trade.  Unfortunatly for these birds (or fortunatly) part of their continued
survival as a species rests in the hands of breeders around the world.  I don't
believe that we can stop ourselves from cutting down every tree in the world
hence the rainforests will be gone within the next 10 years.  With those gone
the habitat of these birds is also gone.  Do we help them survive, in the hope
that we will wake up and start setting aside land as preserves, or do we just
ignore the problem and go our own way.  We aren't stopping the import of
rainforest hardwood, oil taken from jungles, paper created with rainforest
wood, etc...  Yet something that we can help survive, we want to ignore.

I feel that banning the importation of birds for the pet trade is a good idea.
I don't feel that the ban should be total.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (06/15/91)

	An Australian theoretical geneticist (Warren Ewens) has spent some
time talking about the problem of genetic variation, and minimum viable
population sizes.  ("Minimum viable population" is the current hot catch-
phrase in conservation biology).  Anyway, the problem here is that when you
want to calculate a minimum viable pop. size, you DON'T use the actual
population size.  You have to include the effective population size.  I don't
recall the formula offhand, but it has to do with sex ratios, and the number
of animals that actually breed, and survival rates.  Now, this can obviously
all be manipulated with captive populations, but still, the effective
population size is always much smaller than the actual population size.
	Also, there has always been this mystique associated with the number
500.  This has been bandied about as a standard minimum viable population
size---below 500, most species will not maintain enough genetic variation
to make it for more than about 50 years.  Warren Ewens again (this was the
subject of a seminar he gave at Columbia University 1.5 years ago)
thouroughly debunked this notion, showing that the number is almost always
much greater than 500.  His position was that the number 500 was based on a
series of "heroic assumptions", which werem't valid.  So I don't think I'd
spend a lot of time trying to catch wild birds to maintain genetic
variation in captivity.  I think I'd rather see it remain in wild
populations.

Chris Thompson
Biology Department, CCNY

--
"Never count a human dead until you've seen the body.  And even
then you can make a mistake".

jday@spam.ua.oz (Jemery Day) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.154957.3243@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) writes:
>       An Australian theoretical geneticist (Warren Ewens) has spent some
>time talking about the problem of genetic variation, and minimum viable
>population sizes.  ("Minimum viable population" is the current hot catch-
>phrase in conservation biology).  Anyway, the problem here is that when you
>want to calculate a minimum viable pop. size, you DON'T use the actual
>population size.  You have to include the effective population size.  I don't
>recall the formula offhand, but it has to do with sex ratios, and the number
>of animals that actually breed, and survival rates.  Now, this can obviously
>all be manipulated with captive populations, but still, the effective
>population size is always much smaller than the actual population size.

  Genetic variation is not the only consideration when trying to find a
minimum viable population. The effects of demographic stochasticity -
i.e. the chance nature of birth and death in a population; environmental
stochasticity - i.e. random fluctuation in weather patterns with
resulting in variation in the availability of food and water; and
catastrophe - i.e. bushfire which can destroy food sources and habitat.
All four factors are important in performing a population viability
analysis on a given population. ("Population Viability Analysis" is also
"hot" in conservation biology).

>       Also, there has always been this mystique associated with the number
>500.  This has been bandied about as a standard minimum viable population
>size---below 500, most species will not maintain enough genetic variation
>to make it for more than about 50 years.  Warren Ewens again (this was the
>subject of a seminar he gave at Columbia University 1.5 years ago)
>thouroughly debunked this notion, showing that the number is almost always
>much greater than 500.  His position was that the number 500 was based on a
>series of "heroic assumptions", which werem't valid.  So I don't think I'd
>spend a lot of time trying to catch wild birds to maintain genetic
>variation in captivity.  I think I'd rather see it remain in wild
>populations.

Population viability analysis is used to try to estimate the probability
that a given population of a particular species will become extinct over
a given time interval. The notion that a population larger than a
particular magic number will be "safe" from extinction is complete
rubbish. You can attempt to associate a probability with a given initial
population, with that probability representing the chance that the
population will become extinct over a given time interval (say 500
years). The point is that these processes are effected by chance events
and as such must give results which can only be interpreted in terms of
probabilities.

In terms of maintaining genetic diversity and decreasing the chances of
species extinctions I agree with Chris, leave the birds in wild
populations!

>Chris Thompson
>Biology Department, CCNY

Jemery Day
Applied Mathematics Department
Adelaide University

rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) (06/17/91)

From article <28577E6E.68B8@intercon.com>, by kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann):

> 1. Stop imports for the pet trade. Period.
>
> 2. Allow imports of birds for "certified" breeding centers, not just Zoo's.
> Zoo's have their place but they are mainly for people to go see animals at.
> Breeding Parrots just don't really work when people are streaming by (like at
> the National Zoo in DC where they have been trying to breed endangered Black
> Palms for the last several years in a small cage with people snapping flash
> pictures at them).  It just doesn't work.
>
> 3. Lobby all countries who now allow no exports of Parrots to open up slightly
> for exporting birds to breeding centers around the world.  Perhaps with some
> sort of pay back by getting young birds to release into the wild.

This won't work, at least with cockatoos. If you keep them, then you must be
aware of how intelligent and social they are. Released birds don't have the
learned background to survive (and in the case of the flock species, they can't
survive anyway without a flock, and they won't be allowed to join an existing
flock). Pet sulphur crested cockatoos released or lost in Australia don't go out
and survive in the wild, they just hang around cities trying to get their flock
cousins (people) to look after them, and die when they don't succeed.

> This solution is not complete, but it is better than just cutting off the
> imports of birds that will either die off entirely or be smuggled in anyway.
> The buying public is just not aware of what is going on either.

The birds (at least the Australian ones) are mostly holding their own. The ban
on exports of the common ones, say galahs, makes it that much harder to
hide the rare ones that would otherwise be disguised in the exports of the
common ones. It also drives up the price of the common ones, so that the
smugglers concentrate more on them, and take a little pressure of the
rare ones.
Bob McKay		   Phone:	+61 6 268 8169	    fax: +61 6 268 8581
Dept. Computer Science		ACSNET,CSNET:	rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz
Aust. Defence Force Academy	UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!csadfa.cs.adfa.oz!rim
Canberra ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA	ARPA:	rim%csadfa.cs.adfa.oz@uunet.uu.net

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (06/18/91)

(Chris Thompson) writes:
> series of "heroic assumptions", which werem't valid.  So I don't think I'd
> spend a lot of time trying to catch wild birds to maintain genetic
> variation in captivity.  I think I'd rather see it remain in wild
> populations.

Making the assumption that the wild populations have a habitat to stay wild in.
That is our major problem right now.

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.024522.12693@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>,
rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) writes:
> This won't work, at least with cockatoos. If you keep them, then you must be
> aware of how intelligent and social they are. Released birds don't have the
> learned background to survive (and in the case of the flock species, they
can't
> survive anyway without a flock, and they won't be allowed to join an existing
> flock). Pet sulphur crested cockatoos released or lost in Australia don't go
out
> and survive in the wild, they just hang around cities trying to get their
flock
> cousins (people) to look after them, and die when they don't succeed.

You are making the assumption that the birds will be kept as pets before re-
release.  If the parents completely raise the cockatoos, they will be perfectly
capable of returning to a wild population.

rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) (06/18/91)

From article <285D20D1.4189@intercon.com>, by ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry):
> In article <1991Jun17.024522.12693@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>,
> rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) writes:
>> This won't work, at least with cockatoos. If you keep them, then you must be
>> aware of how intelligent and social they are. Released birds don't have the
>> learned background to survive ......
>> .. Pet sulphur crested cockatoos released or lost in Australia don't go out
>> and survive in the wild, they just hang around cities trying to get their
>> flock cousins (people) to look after them, and die when they don't succeed.
>
> You are making the assumption that the birds will be kept as pets before re-
> release. If the parents completely raise the cockatoos, they will be perfectly
> capable of returning to a wild population.
Of course not, the point is that the wild environment is so complex, and so
different from what they are used to, that the birds can't possibly get the
education they need just from being raised with their parents. They have truly
enormous home ranges, migrating many hundreds of kilometres each year, and the
migration paths are complex, as the food sources for some are rare, and their
locations have to be memorised. You are underestimating the intelligence of your
pets and the complexity of the environment that they have evolved to cope with
if you think that they can learn all that from their caged parents (or perhaps
you're overestimating them, and believe that the parents can communicate it all
verbally 8-)). It seems to take a young cockatoo years - perhaps five or more -
to fully learn all the skills it needs to survive in the wild; how could cage
learning ever possibly substitute for that?

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.090020.24510@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>,
rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) writes:
> Of course not, the point is that the wild environment is so complex, and so
> different from what they are used to, that the birds can't possibly get the
> education they need just from being raised with their parents. They have truly
> enormous home ranges, migrating many hundreds of kilometres each year, and the
> migration paths are complex, as the food sources for some are rare, and their
> locations have to be memorised. You are underestimating the intelligence of
your
> pets and the complexity of the environment that they have evolved to cope with
> if you think that they can learn all that from their caged parents (or perhaps
> you're overestimating them, and believe that the parents can communicate it
all
> verbally 8-)). It seems to take a young cockatoo years - perhaps five or more
-
> to fully learn all the skills it needs to survive in the wild; how could cage
> learning ever possibly substitute for that?

I am going by the observation that captive bred macaws have been parent raised
and re-released into the wild with complete success.  Cockatoos and macaws have
comparable intelligence levels.  I am not underestimating their intelligence by
any means.  I have seen my one pet and many breeder cockatoos use tools, solve
puzzles, etc. etc.