[rec.mag] mgse archive server - DOWN FOREVER

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/07/90)

The MGSE archive server was started on about Sept. 03 1989 as a
means of allowing those sites with out FTP capability to gain access
to the large amount of the Usenet postings and other archives of data.
The system grew from a 286 PC running the SCO Xenix OS with a single
80Mb hard drive and a 2400 baud modem to a 386 PC with two 330Mb
hard drives, with a 2400 baud modem and a Telebit trailblazer.

The system was a resounding success, sending out more than 20MBs of
archive mailings per day at times, and it has been a great learning
experience that has helped me understand more about Unix, mailers,
networks and such. It is with great regret that I must announce
that as of Sep 13 1990, the server is no longer in service and any
requests sent to it for the next month or so will receive a notice
to that effect. I wish to thank the many people that have helped
me, have given me encouragement and sent they thanks, and I
specifically wish to thank mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu for his support in
resolving mailer problems as well as allowing me to overflow his
spool partition several times as the system was developed.

If you are intersted in taking up the archive server program development
where i left off, and releasing it to alt.sources or comp.sources.misc
when it is ready, please drop me a line.

Mark Seiffert

---
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu or marks@mgse.UUCP
compu$erve:	>INTERNET:marks@mgse.UUCP (this should work)

drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/07/90)

When you say that the server was meant for "those without FTP capability",
are you saying that there *is* an FTP site which has the same material
which was on the message archive server?

If so, where *is* this site?  Does anyone know the address?

Thanks...

David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

INTERNET: drz@po.cwru.edu      BITNET: drz%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm

  So, tell us, *why* has mgse been shut down?

  And please, please, please tell me it has nothing to do with Operation Sun
Devil (no smiley here).

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct7.155101.21346@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  So, tell us, *why* has mgse been shut down?

It seems my wife of five years started wanting a divorce four years ago
when my duaghter was born, when her 17 year old son punched me and i defended
myself she finally had a reason and had me arrested. I am living at my folks
house and can only use the phone line late at night, there is not enough phone
time to send out the archive requests. Love kills.

>  And please, please, please tell me it has nothing to do with Operation Sun
>Devil (no smiley here).

No Sun Devils, just a Wife. (no smiley here either)

MarkS