[rec.ham-radio.packet] passwd security

karn@faline.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <1615@Umunhum.STANFORD.EDU>, paulf@Umunhum.UUCP writes:
> 4) Design a piplined serial encryptor / decriptor pair using LFSR's.
> 	This is probably stretching part 97 a bit.
>
> A STA for LFSR encryptors would be nice for those who want closed systems;
> 	the situation is similar to PL - type access on a closed repeater.

I wish you hadn't brought this up. Linear Feedback Shift Registers
(LFSRs) are already in use in the K9NG and WA4DSY amateur packet radio
modems as data randomizers. They're called "scramblers" in the
commercial world, but this word has bad connotations in the amateur
world. The purpose of a scrambler or randomizer is NOT to hide the data
being sent, but rather to change its statistics to improve the modem's
performance and to reduce co-channel interference.  In particular,
scrambling gets rid of the DC component in a long flag stream, and it
guarantees plenty of data transitions for clock recovery in the event
you're not running HDLC and you're sending long strings of 1's or 0's.
In part 97 wording, the purpose here is to facilitate communications,
not hide the meaning.

You need to know the polynomial (the taps on the shift register) being
used in order to decode a randomized data stream. Steve and Dale have
published their polynomials, so as far as I'm concerned they aren't
encrypting. However, this wouldn't be much of an encryption system even
if they tried to keep their polynomial secret. All you need is 2N bits
of the pseudo-random sequence generated by the LFSR (where N is the
number of stages in the shift register) and you can obtain the
polynomial by solving a simple linear system of equations.

Shift register feedback systems intended for encryption must use NON-linear
feedback.  The effect of this is to simulate a LFSR with an extremely long
register, so long that the attack just mentioned isn't practical.

Based on the available public information about the secret NSA
algorithms now being recommended for the replacement of DES I think it's a
good bet that they're based on nonlinear feedback shift registers. I say
this because they're stream ciphers and they run much faster than DES in
hardware. NSA also claims that you have to get your keys from them in
order to guarantee security (!) because constructing a "good" key
requires special knowledge of the algorithm. All this is consistent with
the nature of non-linear feedback shift register algorithms.

Phil

verber@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark A. Verber) (05/19/87)

It would seem to me that a public key crypto-system would be perfect
for this kind of application.  You could query the machine for its
public key, encrypt your password using that key and then transmit
your encrypted password.  The machine which you are trying to access
then decodes your password with it's private key and verifies login.

The primary problem with using a public key system is selecting which
method to use.  The best method is RSA, but RSA is patented and cost
mega bucks.  Knapsack could be used, but it has been broken.  This
might not be too much of a problem though since super secure
communications is not needed, it would be on packet radio if security
was important.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				cbosgd!osu-eddie!verber

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (05/20/87)

In article <3569@osu-eddie.UUCP> verber@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>It would seem to me that a public key crypto-system would be perfect
>for this kind of application.  You could query the machine for its
>public key, encrypt your password using that key and then transmit
>your encrypted password.  The machine which you are trying to access
>then decodes your password with it's private key and verifies login.

Two problems with this:

1)  You're still encrypting things.  It's illegal to send encrypted messages
    (of any kind) over the Amateur Radio Service.

2)  If the machine only has it's private key and a single public key, what's
    to stop the Bad Guy from listening to what my password looks like when
    transmitted back to the system, and just using that?

--Pat.

galvin@udel.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <1370@aw.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (Pat Barron) writes:
>In article <3569@osu-eddie.UUCP> verber@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>>It would seem to me that a public key crypto-system would be perfect
>>for this kind of application.  You could query the machine for its
>>public key, encrypt your password using that key and then transmit
>>your encrypted password.
>Two problems with this:
>2)  If the machine only has it's private key and a single public key, what's
>    to stop the Bad Guy from listening to what my password looks like when
>    transmitted back to the system, and just using that?

This is easily corrected with a "nonce identifier".  You are missing the
more fundamental problem of an active eavesdropper who simple substitutes
his/her favorite public key.

Jim

ARPA:	galvin@udel.edu
BITNET:	galvin@udel.edu