[rec.ham-radio.packet] GRiD Compass laptop computers available...

jans@tekchips.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (09/19/87)

<<<You can get a magnesium cased 135G's shock resistant... laptop GRiD Compass
1101 with Electroluminescent flat panel screen... 256K RAM, 8086/8087, 384K
Bubble Memory and Built-in 1200 Baud modem used for $200.>>>

Anybody besides me get in on this?  We need a support group!  Although I'm not
experienced at this, I'll volunteer to put together a mailing list for these
machines.

My first impression of the hard disk and the software is very good.  (The
actual computer hasn't been shipped yet.)  Very nice manuals, and GRiD-OS looks
superb.  (Message-based, with shared, re-entrant user-interface libraries and
dynamic device drivers.)

Specifically, I'm looking for a C compiler for GRiD-OS.  The "official" one (PN
23032) costs $600, and is not available at the off-lease discount!  GRiD-OS
looks like just the thing for a packet station manager.

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies    ---    Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-470	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (09/22/87)

In article <1705@tekchips.TEK.COM> jans@tekchips.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:

>Anybody besides me get in on this?  We need a support group!  Although I'm not
>experienced at this, I'll volunteer to put together a mailing list for these
>machines.

Count me in!  I got together a group of us and we bought several systems.
My 1101 came in Friday, about 3 days after the disk combo.  I was up until
0230 playing with it.  Although GRiDOS is overly menu driven, it makes the
need for the documentation minimal.  I have the bubble memory loaded with
the operating system, the VT100 emulator, the word processor, several
VT100 control files and still have 82Kb left (in the bubble).  The 2101 disk
combo is a tad too heavy to lug on trips, but with built-in modem works
fine (Hayes compat) and I have been able to dump ascii file to my Unix
system w/o problems.  Have not tried it yet under MS-DOS.

Count me in on the mailing list.  I will get it to those in my group who
may not be able to get it directly.

owen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Owen Adair) (09/23/87)

In article <638@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>In article <1705@tekchips.TEK.COM> jans@tekchips.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
>>
>>Anybody besides me get in on this?  We need a support group!  Although I'm not
>>experienced at this, I'll volunteer to put together a mailing list for these
>>machines.
>>

>Count me in!  I got together a group of us and we bought several systems.

>system w/o problems.  Have not tried it yet under MS-DOS.
>
>Count me in on the mailing list.  I will get it to those in my group who
>may not be able to get it directly.

Two of us here bought 1101's . I am using it under MS-DOS and the other
guy is using it under GRiD-OS. We are both VERY pleased.

I ordered Turbo-Pascal (MS-DOS version ) which should run. I also ordered an
editor (QEDIT) from Sammy Mitchell in Smyrna, GA which has a version that
is ANSI compatible. Slow, but should be useful.

When I get my copy of TPascal I'll be able to convert a comm program to work
on the GRiD.

By the way, GRiD users don't worry when the machine gets very warm. It's
supposed to. They use the case as a heat-sink. (and they call it a LAP top
- Not in MY lap :-)  )

Let's get the mailing list going!! (<Thanks Jan)

-Owen

--
Owen Adair, WD4FSU
Digital Signal Processing Lab, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

tenney@well.UUCP (09/25/87)

I've tried asking one poster by email with no response yet.
I must've missed this and couldn't find it, pls pls pls
tell me where, how and how much to get in on this deal.  Am I
the only one that missed it?
tnx
Glenn Tenney

owen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Owen Adair) (09/25/87)

In article <4030@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>I've tried asking one poster by email with no response yet.
>I must've missed this and couldn't find it, pls pls pls
>tell me where, how and how much to get in on this deal.  Am I
>the only one that missed it?
>tnx
>Glenn Tenney

Sorry Glenn, I tried but the mail got bounced back to me. Alas, the net
is not perfect. :-)

Here's the original scoop, verbatim.

**************************************

You can get a magnesium cased 135G's shock resistant (operating &
non-operating!)  laptop GRiD Compass 1101 with Electroluminescent
flat panel screen (24 x 80 lines, 512 x 256 bit-mapped,
selectable fonts), 256K RAM, 8086/8087, 384K Bubble Memory and
Built-in 1200 Baud modem used for $200.  This configuration is
sufficient if you don't push things to the limits (i.e.  running
many applications at once with the window system) or just want to
use it as a portable terminal.  You can also get a 5-1/4 portable
floppy disk drive to go with it for an added $75, however the
386K Bubble Memory space is sufficient to hold the OS (which is
multi-tasking, MS-DOS 2.11 available as well), two applications
(e.g.  Editor and Terminal Emulator) and have about 50K left over
in free space for user data.  The GRiD comes with the 'Management
Tool Set' which includes Editor, DataBase, Plotter, SpreadSheet,
Operating System.  You'll need to order an emulator if you want
to use it as a terminal.  There are three of them: GRiDTerm
(basic glass tty), GRiDVT100 (emulates ANSI VT100), GRiD3101 (IBM
3101).

One company selling these used is USL Data Systems.  Contact Dave
Lucas, toll-free number 800-257-6083.  The unit comes with a 30
day, overnight express, replacement warranty.  Another company
offering 1101's (at $175) up to the 'higher end' Compass 1139 (at
$900) is Phoenix Leasing of San Rafael, Contact Patti Rossi at
800-772-4021.

GRiD Compass Computers require wall outlet power (110 or 220
selectable); External Battery pack available directly from GRiD
model # 31024.

Rumor is the 1139 is going down in price.

--
Owen Adair, WD4FSU
Digital Signal Processing Lab, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:       owen%gteedsp@gatech.gatech.edu
uucp:   ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!gt-eedsp!owen

alang@masscomp.UUCP (10/02/87)

Alan

bowen@sunybcs.UUCP (10/03/87)

Can someone give me a little more info on these systems? What I've heard sounds
great. Are they still available? Where do I look for them? Was this originally
posted? If so, I must have missed it. Any info appreciated...

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   University of Buffalo

uucp:	   ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen
Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (10/05/87)

In article <5641@sunybcs.UUCP> bowen@joey.UUCP (Devon E Bowen) writes:

>Can someone give me a little more info on these systems? What I've heard sounds
>great. Are they still available? Where do I look for them? Was this originally
>posted? If so, I must have missed it. Any info appreciated...
>
>                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
>                                   University of Buffalo

Well, here it comes again, in short form:

	These are 3 year lease returns, that have been fully reconditioned
	(i.e. like new) by GRiD.  They are in limited supply, and some
	may be sold out already.  Persons to contact:

		Patti Rossi @ Phoenix Leasing
			(800) 227-2626 (national)
			(800) 772 4021 (california)
			(415) 485-4500

	Prices ran from $175 to $900.  Lower cost units are sold out.

 Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030