[net.unix-wizards] UNIX literature

Nemnich.PDO@Mit-Multics (12/04/82)

Date:  1 December 1982 13:51 est
I am doing some research for a TA of a course on operating systems. He
is interested in devoting some time to UNIX, and I am helping him find
background literature for class materials.

What we want are documents which give a good overview of the UNIX
system: its history, its philosophy, its internal structure, et cetera.
We are not interested in technical manuals. We *are* interested in what
makes UNIX interesting, what what makes it unique, what it is good at,
and what it lacks.

We need the information by the end of the week.  Pointers to documents
ftp-able from ARPAnet would be wonderful, and published literature cites
would be equally appreciated.  I am not on the unix-wizards list, so
please reply to me directly.  Thanks in advance for your help.

--Bruce Nemnich, Nemnich@MIT-Multics.ARPA

mark.umcp-cs@Udel-Relay@sri-unix (12/10/82)

From:     Mark Weiser <mark.umcp-cs@Udel-Relay>
Date:     5 Dec 82 21:33:48 EST  (Sun)
What you want is either the source code, the secret, elusive and
illegal Australian guide to version 6, or The Bell System Technical
Journal, July-Aug 1978, Vol 57, No 6, Part 2, available for $2.00
(maybe more now) from Bel Laboratories, Circulation Group,
Whippany Road, Whippany, NJ 07981.