[rec.ham-radio.packet] KA9Q "Mulport" HELP

tbell@NCoast.ORG (Terry Bell) (02/27/90)

I am attempting to install the "mulport" command using the KA9Q tcp/ip
software package. I would like to know what the proper procedure is for
a user to digipeat thru me. My DIGILIST file is setup in the following
manner.

digi          interface
k8zfr         507               ( FYI 507 is interface attached to 145.07 )
wa8bxn        501               ( FYI 501 is interface attached to 145.01 )

ax25 mycall is n8hsp-4. Would a user enter the following?

connect w8xxx via k8zfr n8hsp-4 wa8bxn w8yyy

What I would like to accomplish is to have a user on 145.01 digi thru me
and connect to a user on 145.05

Thanks in advance.
73, terry

Terry Bell       FreeNet ab617@po.cwru.edu      UUCP: uunet!cwjcc!ncoast!tbell
N8HSP @WA8BXN.OH.USA.NA       AMSAT-NA       [44.70.4.10] tbell@n8hsp.ampr.org

ke4zv@kd4nc.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (03/03/90)

In article <1990Feb27.152949.28222@NCoast.ORG> tbell@ncoast.UUCP (Terry Bell) writes:
>I am attempting to install the "mulport" command using the KA9Q tcp/ip
>software package. I would like to know what the proper procedure is for
>a user to digipeat thru me. My DIGILIST file is setup in the following
>manner.
>
>digi          interface
>k8zfr         507               ( FYI 507 is interface attached to 145.07 )
>wa8bxn        501               ( FYI 501 is interface attached to 145.01 )
CALLSIGNS IN DIGILIST MUST BE UPPERCASE!! Interface name must be in the
same case as on the attach line!!!!

>ax25 mycall is n8hsp-4. Would a user enter the following?
>
>connect w8xxx via k8zfr n8hsp-4 wa8bxn w8yyy
     on 507        507  507->501 501     501
This works.

>What I would like to accomplish is to have a user on 145.01 digi thru me
>and connect to a user on 145.05
You won't be able to do this because you don't have a 145.05 port listed.-)
The mulport code requires a digi on both sides of your switch for digilist
switching. So your user needs to use a digi call both before and after your
call to effect crossband switching. There is another list called EXLIST
that allows switching for SPECIFIC user calls when your digicall is the
last call in the digi string. This is of limited value for general users
because you would have to have an EXLIST entry for every user, however,
it's great for a special server like a bbs. Here in Atlanta we have our
lan bbs connected by a RS232 link to our switch. This allows the bbs to
do forwarding on the 56kb link attached to the switch instead of having
to have it's own 56kb modem OR forwarding to the switch via the lan
frequency. The lan user has to connect to the bbs via the switch, but,
because the serial link is running at 19.2kb, the digipeat delay is
not noticable and there are NO collistions on the RS232 cable. In fact
we are running full duplex on the bbs link. It's a big win for reducing
unnecessary traffic on the lan frequency.

NOTE: You should have an entry in DIGILIST that reads "lan ax0" or
"lan 507" whatever you call your lan port. This is a default case where
a packet entering on ANY port will be routed out the lan port if your
call is the last digicall in the digi string. If NO matches with DIGILIST
or EXLIST and your call is NOT the last call in the digi string, then
the packet will be repeated out the port it came in on. If your call is
the LAST call in the digi string and you have no lan entry, the packet
will be sent out the port it came in on.

>Thanks in advance.
>73, terry
73 Gary KE4ZV