[rec.ham-radio.packet] TCP/IP, UUCP and HAM

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (03/05/91)

Hi.  I have a friend who is curious whether or not it is possible to do TCP/IP
and UUCP via HAM radios.  He lives in Singapore (where network access and
phone calls to USA are EXPENSIVE!!).  What he's interested in doing is
getting a HAM radio, and using it for TCP/IP and UUCP.  Am I making any sense?
Can anybody help?  Please be verbose, as I know nothing of HAM radio.

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

dsr@mir.mitre.org (Douglas S. Rand) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar5.050812.18395@engin.umich.edu>, gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> Hi.  I have a friend who is curious whether or not it is possible to do TCP/IP
> and UUCP via HAM radios.  He lives in Singapore (where network access and
> phone calls to USA are EXPENSIVE!!).  What he's interested in doing is
> getting a HAM radio, and using it for TCP/IP and UUCP.  Am I making any sense?
> Can anybody help?  Please be verbose, as I know nothing of HAM radio.
>
> 			Thanks, Ralph
>
> Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu

Well your friend can do TCP/IP on ham radio but there are a bunch of provisos.
The major proviso is that he must be a licensed ham.  The next is that the
use of Amateur radio, in general, may not be for the purpose of replacing
a common carrier such as the phone company.  Third,  you may not conduct
business on ham radio.

Your friend may have another important problem.  What's the status of Singapore
in terms of third party agreements?  Someone out there in a position to know?

--
Douglas S. Rand
Internet:   <dsrand@mitre.org>