[rec.games.rogue] How Good is Rogue by Epyx?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (03/27/87)

Can anyone tell me how good Rogue is by Epyx?  How does it compare to the
Advanced Rogue 5.8 (which offers character classes: fighter, cleric, magic-user
and thief) designed to run on a mini?  Is it better, about the same or worse?

Thanks for your opinions.

						Jim Collymore

su01#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/27/87)

I think it's way too mouse-based.  Seems to me that it should be playable
from the keyboard as well as with the mouse.

Seems they did a poor job to me.

--Stu Uleman
(su01@andrew.cmu.edu)

chuq@plaid.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <423@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how good Rogue is by Epyx?  How does it compare to the
>Advanced Rogue 5.8 (which offers character classes: fighter, cleric, magic-user
>and thief) designed to run on a mini?  Is it better, about the same or worse?

It is an average to poor implementation of rogue 5.3.  No advanced features,
and I don't think the user interface was well thought out for the Mac. I
bought it when it first came out, and put it on the shelf after a week or
so.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <423@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how good Rogue is by Epyx?  How does it compare to the
 I have played a couple of games of Epyx Rogue and found it annoying. The
graphics were cute with little pictures of walls, monsters etc. However, Rogue
is one program where the keyboard is clearly superior to the mouse. Epyx Rogue
requires you to use the mouse to move and thus requires you to bang away on the
mouse constantly. The other problem is that the entire level will not fit on the
screen at once so it can get confusing.
  No, it doesn't have any of the features of Adv Rogue.
  Pierce Wetter
  wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu
--------------
   My employer doesn't care about me posting to the net because I don't
have one.
---------

Fortune's nomination for All-Time Champion and Protector of Youthful
Morals goes to Representative Clare E. Hoffman of Michigan.  During an
impassioned House debate over a proposed bill to "expand oyster and
clam research," a sharp-eared informant transcribed the following
exchange between our hero and Rep. John D. Dingell, also of Michigan.

DINGELL: There are places in the world at the present time where we are
	 having to artificially propagate oysters and clams.
HOFFMAN: You mean the oysters I buy are not nature's oysters?
DINGELL: They may or may not be natural.  The simple fact of the matter
	 is that female oysters through their living habits cast out
	 large amounts of seed and the male oysters cast out large
	 amounts of fertilization.
HOFFMAN: Wait a minute!  I do not want to go into that.  There are many
	 teenagers who read The Congressional Record.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

pes@bath63.UUCP (03/31/87)

Epyx Rogue on the Atari ST allows use of the outr ring of digits on the
numeric keypad to control movement.  The various 'operator/enter' keys
around the keypad allow 'search', 'sleep', 'up'(stairs), 'down', and
'fast/slow' (i.e. go until you find something/one step at a time).  Also
a toggle between display of the whole level and enlarged display of the
immediate neighbourhood.  (Use of the alt key does a temporary fast/slow
toggle, as well.)  I find this makes the game much nicer to play, though
you've still (far as I've worked out, at least) got to use the mouse for
interacting with the items in your pack.  (I just make the pack window
be the mouse window, and leave it there.)

Best thing about it is that my lady-friend enjoys it -- which means she's
stopped asking what I see in 'silly computer games'.  (I hasten to add
that she's generally computer-literate, but didn't see games...)
It's (on the Atari, at least) a fairly straightforward port of traditional
Unix Rogue (as doc'ed in the Unix manuals) bar the graphics, addition of
the mouse, and (annoying) renaming of a few of the monsters.

Besides, I think it's fun.  (Though it comes on an uncopyable disk which
you've got to run with write-enable -- don't much like that aspect.)

dturner@imagen.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <2158@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
> >Can anyone tell me how good Rogue is by Epyx?  How does it compare to the
>  I have played a couple of games of Epyx Rogue and found it annoying. The
> requires you to use the mouse to move and thus requires you to bang away on the
> mouse constantly. The other problem is that the entire level will not fit on the
> screen at once so it can get confusing.

on the 520st's verson of rogue, the numerical (sp?) key pad acts as
the movement. also, try useing the enter key to switch to the
"standerd" screen, i still think it is one of the best games i have
seen.

--
----
			It's not my planet monkey-boy