[rec.games.rogue] Using Xfonts for rogue

bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) (07/19/88)

 I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
and still be able to read the text?

hauck@faline.bellcore.com (Scott Hauck) (07/19/88)

In article <> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:

> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
>but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
>Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
>and still be able to read the text?

I tried this once and quickly gave it up.  First of all, the rogue fonts
are incomplete.  There aren't symbols defined for all of the necessary
characters.  Also, to use the fonts and also be able to read the text
you have to do some hacking to the code.  Either the normal lettering or
the screen characters have to be changed into bold fonts - a major
undertacking.  If someone out there decides they want to spent the time
and effort good luck, and I'd like to get a copy.  However, remeber to
do it you have to either track down every message or every place a
monster, wall, corridor, and object is printed.

Scott Hauck
Hauck@faline.bellcore.com
Hauck@postgres.berkeley.edu

In article <5492@super.upenn.edu> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:

> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
>but when I do I get beautiful pictures and unreadable text.
>Can someone tell me how to run rogue with the pictoral fonts
>and still be able to read the text?

Yeah, anyone know the *right* way to do this?

I've been forking rogue into a window with the graphics font and
teeing it back to the tty in a smaller window with a text font;
the result is that I appear to have the game running twice.

Another thing:  Does anyone else ever accidentally hit ctrl-Y?
Does anyone know how to recover from it?  This may be processor-
specific, but I don't know; just send me the answer if it's
the game and not the computer.

				--Blair

In article <1998@faline.bellcore.com> hauck@faline.UUCP (Scott Hauck) writes:
>In article <> bloom@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Marc Bloom) writes:
>>
>> I have tried to start up rogue using the rogue fonts for X10R4
[...]
>I tried this once and quickly gave it up.  First of all, the rogue fonts
>are incomplete.  There aren't symbols defined for all of the necessary

What's Missing!?  I've been playing for a long time (no, I still have
to tee all output to a non-graphics-font window to read anything)
and I have yet to run into anything "invisible" that shouldn't be
(e.g. the Phantom _should_).

				--Blair