[rec.games.chess] Chess sources

newton@cit-vax.UUCP (02/01/87)

Regarding the recent posting by Ozan Yigit on Chess 0.5:

	If these are the same as the 0.5 sources that appeared in
two old version of Byte magazine, then I may be able so save you
a lot of work.  In particular I once typed these entire sources
in (with comments) and did a pascal --> 4.2 C conversion.  Both
versions were run a lot, but there seems to be some insipid bugs
from the original source (minor ones -- usually due to lack of
knowledge).  I also interfaced it to the Ritchie move generator
and a hashed data base lookup table (some one else wrote part
of this code).  Since then my interests have changed...

	I am willing to share these with other peole, but have
absolutely no time for either:
	[1] filling lots of mail/news requests
		nor
	[2] getting all the appropriate licensing agreements signed.
as i am trying to work on a thesis.  I also have no good way of
getting mail to Ozan Yigit.

	If he or someone else can find a mail path to me, or somehow
contact me (see below) AND get the licensing arrangements completed,
I would be more than happy to share this with the net.

- mike

ps:  The C version ran MUCH better than the pascal version in speed.  It
is also changed in some small bell and whistle type ways as well as
'optimized C' code (and 1 assembly language routine 'nxtts') for the
bit manipulation routines.

Mike Newton			Pasadena President, Beach Bums Anonymous
newton@csvax.caltech.edu	818 356 6771 (afternoons, evenings)
amdahl!cit-vax!newton		Caltech 256-80, Pasadena CA  91125

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/02/87)

In article <1670@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> newton@cit-vax.UUCP (Mike Newton) writes:

>Regarding the recent posting by Ozan Yigit on Chess 0.5:
>
>	If these are the same as the 0.5 sources that appeared in
>two old version of Byte magazine, then I may be able so save you
>a lot of work.  In particular I once typed these entire sources
>in (with comments) and did a pascal --> 4.2 C conversion.

	Indeed, they are the same. I had heard about someone doing
	a C conversion in Caltech, but could not really find out that
	it was you. You would indeed same me some work, and probably
	make eveyone on the net very happy.

>	I am willing to share these with other peole, but have
>absolutely no time for either:
>	[1] filling lots of mail/news requests
>		nor
>	[2] getting all the appropriate licensing agreements signed.

	I have the time, plus explicit permission from its authors
	to distribute. [photocopies available upon request.]

	..seismo!mnetor!yetti!oz	or	oz@yusol.BITNET

>... AND get the licensing arrangements completed,
>I would be more than happy to share this with the net.

	I would appreciate if you could forward them to me, for
	packaging with what I have, and I will send it to mod.sources
	moderator. He is expecting it :-)

	The Pascal sources, and its C derivative, in accordance with
	the copyright laws, will contain copyright date, and the
	names of its authors, and a note specifiying that the sources
	may only be used for non-commercial purposes.

oz	[the quote for tonite: you do not always get the rook you want,
	but sometimes, you get the knight you need :-)]

--
The best way to have a 		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
good idea is to have a 		Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti].BITNET