[rec.games.chess] AIChess, a PC-based chess program

cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (09/23/88)

The latest program to burst upon the scene apparently is AIChess.
Early rumors indicate it is stronger than even the strongest
mid-range dedicated chess machines. An example: it defeated Novag
Super-Forte 12.5 to 6.5 at 15 second chess.

Very little else is known; apparently there's an info line about
the program at 714 631 7452. I haven't seen it at any store or PC
mart and none of the clerks have any info.

Overall results seem to indicate master strength running on
an 8mhz PC.

	Stuart

ekw@well.UUCP (Elliott Winslow) (09/28/88)

The venerable Stuart Cracraft more-or-less repeated an earlier posting with:
| The latest program to burst upon the scene apparently is AIChess.
| Early rumors indicate it is stronger than even the strongest
| mid-range dedicated chess machines. An example: it defeated Novag
| Super-Forte 12.5 to 6.5 at 15 second chess.
|
| Very little else is known; apparently there's an info line about
| the program at 714 631 7452. I haven't seen it at any store or PC
| mart and none of the clerks have any info.
|
| Overall results seem to indicate master strength running on
| an 8mhz PC.

What is this guy up to???  He posts these snake-oil advertisements, but never
seems to be quite telling you what is really going on.  He doesn't name any
sources.  He doesn't tell you what happens when you dial the number.  He
doesn't respond when you ask him questions.

I'll bite.  I'll call this number tomorrow and see what (if anything) happens.
At least it's not a 976 number...

    Elliott Winslow
    (415) 653-4256
    ekw@well.UUCP

mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) (09/28/88)

In article <7236@well.UUCP>, ekw@well.UUCP (Elliott Winslow) writes:
> The venerable Stuart Cracraft more-or-less repeated an earlier posting with:

stuff deleted

> What is this guy up to???  He posts these snake-oil advertisements, but never
> seems to be quite telling you what is really going on.  He doesn't name any
> sources.  He doesn't tell you what happens when you dial the number.  He
> doesn't respond when you ask him questions.
>
> I'll bite.  I'll call this number tomorrow and see what (if anything) happens.
> At least it's not a 976 number...
>
>     Elliott Winslow
>     (415) 653-4256
>     ekw@well.UUCP

I just called the above number and got the following recorded message:

"AIChess is the worlds strongest PC based chess program. If you would like more
information about this fine product please leave your name and address after the
bell." beeeeeeeeep

Not much information in that messasge. Looks like a good way to get a mailing
list of chess/computer types to me without buying it from another source.
--
      -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995

Whatever you needs, Pyramid will cater to them. We are not proud.
	- parapharased from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy TV Show BBC

eak@mtgzz.att.com (e.a.knowles) (09/29/88)

In article <7236@well.UUCP>, ekw@well.UUCP (Elliott Winslow) writes:

> I'll bite.  I'll call this number tomorrow and see what (if anything) happens.
> At least it's not a 976 number...

Don't bother calling that number. I already did and got connected to the
post office (I didn't bother asking which post office). I guess I'm
overly optimistic about the advance of computer algorithms for
chess...optimism often breeds gullibility. 8^[
				-Ed Knowles

c60c-2at@web-2g.berkeley.edu (Seggev Weiss) (10/01/88)

Newsgroups:rec.games.chess
Subject: U.C.B chess club 9/88 results
Sender: c60c-2at@weaver.BERKELEY.EDU

U.C.B chess club's first 4-round Swiss of the year ended just a couple of days
ago. The top two participants were NMs Roger Phoelmann (2224) & Peter Yu(2211).
Some key matchups were Phoelmann-Weiss, 1/2-1/2 (Rd.3) and Yu-Phoelmann, 1-0
(Rd. 4) (the later game's score will be published in a follow-up article.)

The final results were:

1. Peter Yu , 4.0/4.0.
2. Seggev Weiss , 3.0.
3. Roger Phoelmann, and several others , 2.5.

We're meeting every Wed. night, 7-10 p.m at the MLKJ Student Union building,
2560 Bancroft Ave., Berkeley. There are monthly Swiss open tournaments at a
fast time control (30/30, 30/SD).
For more details e-mail to me at the address above.

On another note, the 6-men round robin NCCA Invitational will continue this
weekend, and will culminate next weekend, also in the Student Union building.
After 3 rounds, the leader is FM David Glueck, the top-rated student player
(2436), having a perfect score. The other players include Mar, Buckely, Rey,
Gorman, and Cornelius.
I will soon post several interesting games from this tournament as well.

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (10/02/88)

In article <4559@mtgzz.att.com> eak@mtgzz.att.com (e.a.knowles) writes:
>Don't bother calling that number. I already did and got connected to the
>post office (I didn't bother asking which post office).

You must've misdialed; I got through, and even got to speak to a real, live
person who seemed to know a bit about chess and software; apparently if one
calls on a Saturday, one even gets to speak to the author of the program
(haven't called back, though).

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@watdcsu.UWaterloo{.edu,.csnet,.cdn}