[rec.games.chess] Drawing Chess boards and Chess figures

rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla) (12/07/89)

I'm looking for public (ftp-able) or commercial software for the mac
to draw and print chess boards and chess figures. I'm planning to
do some voluntary work teaching little kids how to play chess.
I'll summarize if there is any interest on this.

If you know of any software for PCs I'd be also interested I
have SoftPc which runs very well.

My system is a Mac IIx 4Meg Ram, 6.0.3.

You can e-mail directly to

	rod@mimsy.umd.edu

Thanks.

Rodrigo Fontecilla
Computer Science Department
University of Maryland

P.S> If you know of a book(s) that could serve as a guide to
teach chess to beginners please let me know.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (12/09/89)

In article <21155@mimsy.umd.edu>, rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla) writes:

> I'm looking for public (ftp-able) or commercial software for the mac
> to draw and print chess boards and chess figures. I'm planning to
> do some voluntary work teaching little kids how to play chess.

(Sorry to post this, but lately most of my e-mailings get bounced back.)

Rodrigo:

Try ordering the "World-Class" fonts package from Dubl-Click software.  THey
have a font in that collection called "Odessa" which has all the chess pieces.
You'll have to by the other 40+ fonts to with the package, but I'm sure you'll
be able to find a use for them eventually.

Dubl-CLick ads are in most issues of MacUser or MacWorld magazine, and so
you can get their number there.  I would recommend that you order through one
of the discount houses and save yourself some money, rather than ordering
directly from the manufacturer.

Good luck.

						Jim Collymore

p.s. These are bit-mapped fonts, not postscript fonts, so if you run them
off a laser printer they may look a little jagged around the edges.

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (12/10/89)

In article <1680@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>In article <21155@mimsy.umd.edu>, rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla) writes:
>> I'm looking for public (ftp-able) or commercial software for the mac
>> to draw and print chess boards and chess figures. I'm planning to
>> do some voluntary work teaching little kids how to play chess.

>Try ordering the "World-Class" fonts package from Dubl-Click software.  THey
>have a font in that collection called "Odessa" which has all the chess pieces.
>You'll have to by the other 40+ fonts to with the package, but I'm sure you'll
>be able to find a use for them eventually.

Or, you could look for the free font released by Adobe a few months
back called Cheq.  Type 1 PostScript laser font.  I grabbed a copy
off of one of the newsgroups here; I don't remember which one, but
it wasn't comp.binaries.mac.  It should be available from sumex, and
maybe from the archive server at adobe.com.

And you don't have to buy 40 other Adobe fonts to get it....:-)

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

oplinger@jupiter.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (12/22/89)

So where is the cheq font ftp'able from? I looked around sumex
and didn't find it. Please include both destination and directory
information.

thank
brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com