[rec.games.chess] GNU Chess for IBM PC now available

cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (06/09/90)

A new version of GNU Chess is available. This version
will run on the IBM PC and compatibles. It will
compile under Microsoft C, though due to brain-damage in
the Microsoft Make, a UNIX-compatible make is necessary
(or hand-making).

GNU is not in the business of supporting DOS, however
the contributors to GNU Chess felt there are so many
DOS machines (often with miserable chess programs)
they were obligated to do something.

The new distribution includes improvements to heuristics.

Running on a RISC-chip (Sparc), this program has defeated
another program which is a rated chessmaster. On the new 486
chip, a 25mhz cached version should have similar performance.
A 33mhz version should be moderately stronger. We are interested
in people who would like to port to and test on the Intel
i860 chip. Full details in the distribution.

The release is available from prep.ai.mit.edu
via anonymous ftp. The filename is:

	gnuchess-3.1.tar.Z

A checksum for this file is its byte length: 278221.
If the file is not there when you look, try again
later. Update time is required due to personnel
constraints/limitations.

	Stuart

esmith@apple.com (Eric Smith) (06/11/90)

In article <8937@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu
(Stuart Cracraft) writes:
> A 33mhz version should be moderately stronger. We are interested
> in people who would like to port to and test on the Intel
> i860 chip. Full details in the distribution.

I'm currently working on this, as I have a fairly large bet with an
associate who believes that I can't build a machine that can beat him
under certain time constraints.  I'm a very poor chess player myself,
but I thought this would be an interesting challenge.

I'm building the hardware now.  I'm using 2 megabytes of high-speed
static RAM.  I haven't done to much with/to the software yet, but since
it didn't take too much effort to get it running on a Macintosh, I don't
expect much trouble with the i860 if (a big if!) the compiler is stable.

Eric Smith
(408) 974-7791
esmith@apple.com

Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
employer, family, friends, computer, or even me!  :-)