[rec.games.chess] Info Request: USCF rating as a function of search ply?

Schwamb@ICS.UCI.EDU ("Karl B. Schwamb") (11/10/90)

Does anyone out there know of any empirical results that give a
feel for how search ply may be related to USCF rating?  I realize,
of course, that this is not too useful without considering the
static position evaluator and peculiarities of the search method.
Still, I was wondering if there were some general qualitative
statements that could be made about this relationship.

-Karl

Karl B. Schwamb                                  schwamb@ics.uci.edu
Information and Computer Science
University of California, Irvine 92715

tjbryce@amherst.bitnet (11/10/90)

In article <9011091027.aa03480@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>, Schwamb@ICS.UCI.EDU ("Karl B. Schwamb") writes:
> Does anyone out there know of any empirical results that give a
> feel for how search ply may be related to USCF rating?  I realize,
> of course, that this is not too useful without considering the
> static position evaluator and peculiarities of the search method.
> Still, I was wondering if there were some general qualitative
> statements that could be made about this relationship.
>
> -Karl
>
> Karl B. Schwamb                                  schwamb@ics.uci.edu
> Information and Computer Science
> University of California, Irvine 92715

Each additional ply of search adds about 200 points to a programs plying
strength. (sources: Scientific American, October 1990 and the book
Chess Skill in Man and machine, as well)

            APPROXIMATE
PROGRAM PLY RATING
Belle   5   1550
Belle   6   1860