[rec.games.chess] Chess question

pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick m mullhaupt) (03/05/91)

	Recently a friend of mine claimed that it had been *proven*
through game theory that chess was a win for white.  I find this very
hard to believe and would appreciate any references or comments on the
topic.

	- Patrick Mullhaupt
	  pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (03/07/91)

In article <63149@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pmm@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick m
mullhaupt) writes:
>	Recently a friend of mine claimed that it had been *proven*
>through game theory that chess was a win for white.  I find this very
>hard to believe and would appreciate any references or comments on the
>topic.

Your friend is confused.  It's been proven for games like Hex, where making a
move can't hurt you.  Clearly this does not apply to chess.  It's close to
feasible to determine who wins in Othello by exhaustive search, if you're
smart about it.  The same for chess is way out of reach.