[rec.ham-radio] "Numbers" stations

parnass@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (12/05/87)

In article <123.003505@adam.DG.COM>, Pete_Simpson@MERCURY.CEO.DG.COM
writes on hearing shortwave broadcasts of coded number groups:

>      I was listening to one of these last night and the question
> popped up again, "What are these people doing?" To my knowledge, no
> one has ever come up with a reasonable explanation of why a station
> would read off code groups in <English/Spanish/Italian/German> using
> AM modulation.....
> Thanks...Pete Simpson, KA1AXY

These "numbers"	stations may be	found  on  several  frequen-
cies,  with  both  males and females speaking in many langu-
ages.

They remain the	subject	of debate among	SWLs,  and  attempts
by  hobbyists  to  break the coded messages have been unsuc-
cessful.  One prevailing theory	is that	they are "spy"	sta-
tions,	sending	 orders	 to operatives in foreign countries.
Another	theory is that they are	 associated  with  smuggling
activities,   like   ordering,	 and   arranging   for	drug
deliveries.

I agree	with the "spy" theory.	Monitoring Times reported  a
few  years ago how an SWL traced down the source of one	num-
bers station.1 Using a Kenwood R1000 shortwave	receiver  in
his car, the SWL found the signals came	from within the	War-
renton Training	Center,	a U.S. Army facility  in  Remington,
VA, operated by	an arm of the intelligence community.

Another	numbers	station	was reportedly located in  the	res-
tricted	area of	Nauen in East Germany.2

The FCC	won't talk much	about these signals, but I  bet	 you
dollars	 to donuts that	the NSA, USN, CIA, etc.	know exactly
what their purpose is, and monitor them	(and  operate  some)
closely.   At  the very	least, our government knows the	geo-
graphic	locations of these transmitters.

The use	of double sideband, reduced carrier for	transmission
allows	the  operative	to  use	 a cheap, readily obtainable
short wave receiver (e.g., Radio  Shack,  Panasonic,  Sony).
Possession  of	such a common receiver would not draw atten-
tion to	the owner.

Here are just a	sampling of numbers stations I've heard.  My
most  interesting  numbers  logging  is	the station on 3.780
MHz.  Its strength implied a location in North America.3

   3.7800    call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, am, yl/Spanish, 5 digit, as s
		       trong as	the strongest ham signals on the band at the ti
		       me. Two hams in QSO on same freq	in lsb discussing this
		       signal, 0704Z
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

   5.8070    call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, am, yl/Spanish, "1234567890 3
		       46 346 346 1234567890 ..."
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

   6.8020    call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, am, yl/Spanish, 4 digit, 12/0
		       2/86 @0210Z
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

	     call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, am, yl/Spanish, 4 digit, xmti
		       ng concurrently with KKN50 on 6.9252 cw,	both were the s
		       trongest	signals	on the band at s9+20 db, 5/15/85 @0220Z
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

   6.9254    KKN50_____US: State, likely at the	National Communications	System
		       installation at Warrenton Training Center, embassy-relat
		       ed?, xmting concurrently	with yl	am Spanish language 4 d
		       igit numbers station at 6.802 MHz, both were the	stronge
		       st signals on band at s9+20 db, cw, 5/15/85 @0220Z
		       [Remington, VA] (B. Parnass)

   9.0740    call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, female reading numbers in Spa
		       nish, "229 229 229 1234567890...", xmtd some tones also,
			am, 12/07/86 @0110Z
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

  18.1950    call?_____unidentified: numbers stn, female repeating "Hotel Kilo"
			4 times, then 10 seconds of musical tones. Changes to G
		       erman 5 digit number groups at 1615Z. This xmsn type pur
		       portedly	originates from	Nauen E. Germany, usb, 04/05/87
			@1601Z
		       [location?] (B. Parnass)

__________

 1. See	"U.S. Numbers Station Found!", by Bob Grove
    Monitoring Times, April 1984.

 2. See	"Spy Numbers Transmitter Located!", by John H.
    Demmitt, Monitoring	Times, May 1983.

 3. I suppose there is a possibility that an American
    prankster with ham equipment recorded the transmission
    on another frequency, and played it	back on	75 meters.

--
===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihuxz!parnass - (312)979-5414

mlm@NL.CS.CMU.EDU (Michael Mauldin) (12/06/87)

In article <2475@ihuxz.ATT.COM>, parnass@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) writes:
> In article <123.003505@adam.DG.COM>, Pete_Simpson@MERCURY.CEO.DG.COM
> writes on hearing shortwave broadcasts of coded number groups:
>
> > "What are these people doing?"
>
> One prevailing theory is that they are "spy" sta-
> tions, sending  orders  to operatives in foreign countries.

Bamford's excellent book about the NSA "The Puzzle Palace" confirms
that at least one use of these 5 digits broadcasts is for control of
Soviet agents in foreign countries.

Page 504:

    Finally, [Geoffrey] Prime was instructed on how to receive coded
    radio messages and was given a signal schedule describing the days,
    times, and frequencies over which they would be sent.  The
    transmissions, which would originate in East Germany, would be sent
    in five number groups, and to decipher them Prime was provided with
    a supply of small, gridlike one-time pads.

Page 532:

    [T]here was a strange coded message picked up by a radio operator
    in England on the evening of July 22, 1982, weeks after Prime had
    been arrested and placed in jail and nearly a week after the
    scandal had hit the front pages.  Coming from and East German radio
    station was the monotonous sound of a woman's voice reading in
    English five-number code groups: "04376 74989 30300 70901 82266
    68375 81377 80734 61156 ..."  The question is, who else was
    listening?

Page 502 to 505, my summary:

    Geoffrey Prime was a KGB controlled agent in Britain's Government
    Communications Headquarters (GCHQ, their equivalent to the NSA).
    His KGB code-name was "Rowlands".  He began service with the Joint
    Technical Language Service (JTLS) of the GCHQ on Sep. 30, 1968, so
    spy messages were transmitted at least from 1968 to 1982.

So to all you people trying to decipher these messages, good luck!
Soviet military one-time ciphers are probably about as hard to break as
pre-stressed concrete!

------------
Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		Department of Computer Science
ARPA: Michael.Mauldin@NL.CS.CMU.EDU	Carnegie-Mellon University
Phone: (412) 268-3065			Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890
------------
Maybe one of the nice people at the NSA who monitor UseNet traffic
will read this message and shed some light on this matter.	    :-)

travis@madonna.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2475@ihuxz.ATT.COM> parnass@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) writes:
>In article <123.003505@adam.DG.COM>, Pete_Simpson@MERCURY.CEO.DG.COM
>writes on hearing shortwave broadcasts of coded number groups:
>
>These "numbers"	stations may be	found  on  several  frequen-
>cies,  with  both  males and females speaking in many langu-
>ages.

There is a rather long list of these frequencies, and what is said on them
(i.e., the languages and numbers, not the plaintext!) in the book Big Secrets,
which is a compilation of "secrets", such as the Kentucky Fried Chicken
formula.  I don't have a full reference, but it came out in 85 or 86 in a
largish yellow paperback.  If you can't find it, send me mail and I'll get the
complete info.  The author also thought that these were spy stations, but no
one is sure.

Arpa:	travis@cunixc.columbia.edu 	Bitnet: travis@cu20b
Usenet: rutgers!columbia!travis
USMail:	483 Mudd, Columbia Univ., NYC 10025   Phone: 212-280-8091

darrell@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Darrell Long) (12/12/87)

Author:        Poundstone, William.
Title:         Big secrets : the uncensored truth about all sorts of stuff you
                 are never supposed to know / William Poundstone. 1st ed. New
                 York : Morrow, 1983.
               228 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.

Notes:         Includes index.

Subjects:      Trade secrets.
--
Darrell Long
Department of Computer Science & Engineering, UC San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093