[net.news.group] Let's talk about phone bills

greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) (10/26/85)

This is all very interesting to me.  I am undecided who is right and
who is being paranoid.  One of the big issues seems to be:  "If we
don't curb this sort of thing now, the whole net will collapse".

Is this true?  Is is necessary that news feeds be so centralized,
the result being that they cannot *afford* to propagate the news?

It strikes me that there are a large number of sites on USENET, and
that the connectivity is relatively low.  This means that a lot of
the news gets sent from Boston to San Francisco between two "backbone"
sites who incur all the phone bills, then gets locally distributed
to all the smaller sites who read it, post flames, and run up the
phone bills of the "hub" sites.  This is an oversimplification, of
course, but tends to be true.

Question:  What gains can be made in terms of more carefully chosen
news connections?  Can they be maintained separately from regular
uucp/mail connections? (I doubt it).  Maybe I don't have the big
picture (I *know* I don't have the big picture) but maybe some gains
can be made in other ways than nuking newsgroups so that the wants
of the many are not serviced at the expense of the few.

Comments?

Glenn Reid
  decwrl!adobe!greid
--
You have new mail.

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (10/31/85)

] ... I don't know if news and mail links can be kept seperate. i
] suspect not...

It may be of general interest to many people that mail and news links
can be seperate.  I have some sites already receiving internal (cdi.*)
news via a feed from here (to change soon to another site) and which
handle mail over less direct paths.

We have several mail-only links which do not handle news at all; the
news is all handled through one central system.  I do not think it is
easy to make a news-only link which would reject mail.  The means of
keeping the links serving only mail is to carefully not list them in
the ~news/sys file; this arranges to not queue news for them.

--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews, KI4PV
uucp:					...!decvax!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner

In article <779@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:

>Question:  What gains can be made in terms of more carefully chosen
>news connections?  Can they be maintained separately from regular
>uucp/mail connections? (I doubt it).  Maybe I don't have the big
>picture (I *know* I don't have the big picture) but maybe some gains
>can be made in other ways than nuking newsgroups so that the wants
>of the many are not serviced at the expense of the few.
>
>Comments?

	This sounds like a good idea to me! Does anyone have any idea
how to go about implementing it? Perhaps if news admins of sites
*recieving* thier news from distant sites could look for closer sites
to use as news feeds and arrange to switch to the local site it would
help. Especially if the remote site were a backbone site. Maybe
backbone sites that are feeding more than on remote site in a given
geographical area could mail them a suggestion to arrange local
cross-feeding. Maybe more backbone sites with carefully chosen
connections would alleviate the problem.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (11/07/85)

In article <481@ki4pv.UUCP> tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) writes:
>We have several mail-only links which do not handle news at all; the
>news is all handled through one central system.  I do not think it is
>easy to make a news-only link which would reject mail.  ...

Easy.  Make the uucp link name (in L.sys) be different than the news
system name.

In news "sys" file, to send to system "abc":
	abc:net,mod,na,usa,mn::uux - xyz!rnews

Where uucp "L.sys" file has an entry to call a system "xyz".

This assumes that your uucico will not complain about
the remote name calling itself "abc" when trying to send
files to "xyz".

Strictly speaking, the news link could still be used for mail
but people would have to know the path was called "xyz".  News
would only show the public system names, not the private link names.

Of course, you could always alter rmail or uucico...
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon  Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.         circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W   (612)481-3507 {ihnp4,mgnetp}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco