[rec.ham-radio] Ringer Magneto Wanted

rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) (04/15/88)

I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
field phones.

Has anybody seen one of these advertized by a surplus outfit?
Once, these were common items from rural phone modernizations
and surplused military field phones, but I haven't seen one
in some years.

Oh, by the way, the reason I want one is to make a worm gathering aid.

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (04/18/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP> rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
>I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
>A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
>field phones.
>
>Has anybody seen one of these advertized by a surplus outfit?

American Science Center, 5?00 North Northwest Highway, Chicago IL.
This store is just like Edmond Science. I have seen the Magneto
hand cranked generators there. As I remember, they are expensive.
There is another store directly next door that sells military surplus.
I think the name is "Jimco" or "Jamesco".

Ted G. Kekatos
backbone!ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk                     (312) 979-0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill South, IX-1F-460
Naperville & Wheaton Roads - Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (04/19/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP> rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
>I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
>A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
>field phones.

Edmund Scientific and Herbach & Rademan, Inc both have them.

H & R's address is:

	Herbach & Rademan, Inc.
	401 East Erie Ave.
	Philadelphia, PA 19134
	215-426-1708

Ask for their "This Month" catalog.

The price is about $20.00 from each.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

todd@uop.edu (A Wizard, a True *) (04/19/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP>, rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
> I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
> A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
> field phones.

Those can be had from Fair Way Radio in Ohio.
Look in the back of an ole "Radio Electronics" mag.

> Oh, by the way, the reason I want one is to make a worm gathering aid.

Hell, just make a Tesla coil.. use a Ford coil..

Trivia of the day.. can anyone out there tell me what a

"Fletcher Phone" is??  C'mon Max.. you know??

     "Never date a girl who has spurs hanging on her brass bed"
+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +