[net.unix-wizards] Hayes SmartModems

clark.wbst@Parc-Maxc@sri-unix (12/10/82)

Date: 7 Dec 1982 10:55 EST
I am looking at modems for UUCP.  I understand that the original hayes works
quite well.

	Does anyone have any experience with the Smartmodem 1200 ?

	Has UUCP been brought up on it?

	If not, will it work in a degraded mode with the existing software?

Thanx..

		--Ray Clark
		   {ucbvax!}clark.wbst@parc-maxc

hartwell%Shasta@SU-Score@sri-unix (12/16/82)

From: Steve Hartwell <hartwell%Shasta at SU-Score>
Date: Friday, 10 Dec 1982 14:39-PST
We have the Hayes-Stack smartmodem 1200 here on Shasta at Stanford University.
I wrote a version of dialout() for uucp when we got the 300 baud one, and it
essentially worked fine on the 1200 baud one at 300 baud (answering your last
question first, will it work in degraded mode with existing software..).

The smartmodem 1200 has one major design flaw, as far as I can tell: it tries
to decide at the time of the connection what baud rate it will talk at by
listening to the type of carrier.  Once it makes up its mind on a particular
rate, nothing can be done to change its mind.  In other words, if it calls
up a system which has its dialins initially at 300 baud, and cycles to 1200
on break or null, it will hear the 300 baud carrier, decide to talk at
300 baud, and you're stuck with it -- you can convince the remote system to
cycle up to 1200 baud by sending nulls, but the Hayes-Stack "smart"modem
will not change its reception speed.

Fortunately, most systems start at 1200 and cycle down to 300 if necessary,
so this is not too bad, since you get first crack at the higher baud rate.

The uucp routine dialout() I wrote seems to have worked more or less
reliably for about 9 months now.

Steve Hartwell