[net.unix-wizards] Soliciting some TCP-IP advice

Archunix@OFFICE-3@sri-unix (12/10/82)

From: Archunix at OFFICE-3 (UNIX support team)
Date:  6 Dec 1982 1131-PST
We are at present procuring TCP-IP from BBN and will be
installing it on the VAX 750.  Would appreciate any suggestions and
advice that might help us during installation.

Thanks bunches
joyce
-------

chris.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (12/16/82)

From:     Chris Torek <chris.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>
Date:     11 Dec 82 00:13:13 EST  (Sat)
We recently installed the BBN TCP-IP software on our 4.1BSD 780.
Everything works as far as we can tell, which isn't very far since
our connection to Ft. Meade isn't up yet; but there were a few bugs
in the installation guide.  (The document is labeled "Installing and
Operating the BBN Networking Software" and dated May 17, 1982.  BBN
may have fixed these by now.)

In the following paragraphs, missing material is presented in [brackets],
material that should be deleted in {braces}.

Under section 2.1, page three:

 ...In addition, there are modifications to the following files:

	[asm.sed,] fio.c, ioctl.c, locore.s, machdep.c, main.c, ...

Section 3.1, page five:

 ...Likewise the executables in bin should be placed in suitable
directories:

	host, netstat, ftp, telnet, tcptest, trpt, netdebug, [ftpfilter,]
	*hdb, ndb_* in /bin or /usr/bin

	mkgate, {mkhost,} netinit, {prhost,} netser, ftpsrv,
	rvrfpt, smtpsrv, smtp, mailer, netreset in /etc/net

The missing asm.sed took us a while to figure out, until someone (me!)
realized that 'insque' and 'remque' are Vax instructions....

Other than the above, we've had no trouble yet.
					- Chris

P.S. I'm sure of asm.sed; the others are from some chicken scratchings
on a copy of the Installation Guide, so they're a bit suspect.