[rec.ham-radio] S-Band Beacon on Moon

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/20/89)

In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>down when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago.  I could be wrong.

Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
nuclear reactors?
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

In article <683@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>>... when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago...
>
>Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
>nuclear reactors?

No, but it was costing some small amount of money to receive, store, and
analyze the data.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) (07/21/89)

In article <683@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>>down when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago.  I could be wrong.
>Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
>nuclear reactors?

I started working at a NASA tracking station shortly after ALSEP was
shut down.  The story I heard was that NASA ran out of money to receive,
record and process the telemetry data.  The tracking stations used to
record ALSEP data for hours at a time, every day.  I was also told that
NASA had warehouses full of magnetic tape that couldn't be reduced or
analyzed due to lack of funding.

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) (07/21/89)

In article <1989Jul20.155847.15452@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>No, but it was costing some small amount of money to receive, store, and
>analyze the data.

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask: why even bother to shut the
things off? Just ignore them, and if they're still working a few years later
when you change your mind, so much the better. If they had shut off the
deep space network, would they have given a command to the Voyagers and
pioneers "make no further broadcasts, accept no further instructions from
Earth"?

\    /\    /\    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\.-.-.-.-.......___________
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe@hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) (07/22/89)

In article <481@gronk.UUCP> johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) writes:
->I started working at a NASA tracking station shortly after ALSEP was
->shut down.  The story I heard was that NASA ran out of money to receive,
->record and process the telemetry data....
->--
->John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

So, we shut down the transmitter so that NOBODY could recieve it.

Makes sense to me. :-(

----------
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075\  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

add@v7fs1.UUCP (Andrew D. Daniel) (07/22/89)

In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1473@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
>>... a radio transmitter that was left on the Moon ... still operating.
>
>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>down ... to save some trifling amount of money!!!

Am I missing something here?
How could shutting down something already on the moon save ANY money?

I DID hear that NASA recently shut down a listening station that was picking
up signals from moon-based instruments to save $2M per year, but that
the instruments themselves were still operating.

--

Andrew D Daniel, Video Seven, Inc.           Angels fear to tread
..ames!vsi1!v7fs1!add                        where fools login:

In article <138@nwnexus.WA.COM> edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) writes:
>wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
>"Unix Public Access for the Masses!"

Now Ed, lets enforce the consitutional separation of church and (solid) state.