[rec.ham-radio] info on Crystal Radio kit or schematic

sterling@ccssrv.UUCP (Sterling Huxley) (10/26/89)

As a Christmas present I thought I would give my nephew a crystal radio kit.
I've looked around and can only find a cheap kit from Radio Shack.
I haven't been able to find any schematics either.

Does anyone know where a reasonable kit can be purchased?
Or, a reference to a schematic might help.

Thanks,

Sterling Huxley
...!tektronix!sequent!ccssrv!sterling

norlin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (NARC ONE) (10/27/89)

In article <758@ccssrv.UUCP> sterling@ccssrv.UUCP (Sterling Huxley) writes:

>As a Christmas present I thought I would give my nephew a crystal radio kit.
>I've looked around and can only find a cheap kit from Radio Shack.
>[stuff deleted...]
>Does anyone know where a reasonable kit can be purchased?

The Radio Shack kit is, actually, acceptable.  I got one for Christmas when
I was nine years old, and it was quite thrilling.  To this day, I still have
it, and it still works.  Only thing you might consider adding on to the kit
is a longer antenna.  They only provide 10 feet of wire for the antenna, and
10 feet for the ground (at least, when I got mine).  It was kind of
disheartening at first, because the short antenna did not give enough
signal strength to pick up any stations at first, and I was afraid it didn't
work.  So, my advice is just stick with the Radio Shack kit and buy some
antenna wire to go with it, and your nephew should be quite happy.

--
Norman Lin

This is my humble signature file.