[net.unix-wizards] comments, access, etc

FC01@USC-ECL@sri-unix (12/15/82)

From: FC01 <FC01@USC-ECL>
Date:  9 Dec 1982 1036-PST
Alright already!! Enough of this!!!
Beginning comments should be allowed within comments, but not end comments
The whole idea of comments is that they should be a way to inform the reader
or to withold code from compilation. To withold code, you can use the ifdef
enddef pair. This has the nice effects of allowing it to be reinserted through
the use of include files, and of making global version control possible as
well. As for comments having comments within them, a comment needn't have an
inserted comment. Just add the text desired at the place desired and forget
the extra /*...*/ pair. If you really need it, do ... */ /*new comment*/ /*...
and the inserted comment will be a comment on its own, not in the comment that
it is in!

	Access control can be done on any basis desired through the use of the
setgid, setuid bits on files. I even anounced a general purpose facility to
this end a few months ago and got only one request for the free source license.
If you want fancy protection/access/execution schemes, you can very easily
adapt my program for your special application.

	I have a new idea. How about a new bboard called Unix-Flames where all
the flaming ###s can flame to their heartburn's content without lighting up
the lines of unix wizards with their wiley whiticisms.
						Fred
p.s. DON'T INCLUDE ME IN THE NEW MAILING LIST
			FC
-------

gwyn@Brl (12/17/82)

From:     Doug Gwyn <gwyn@Brl>
Date:     12 Dec 82 23:30:23-EST (Sun)
I obtained Fred's "access" utility and it seems to work very well.
This provides a way for normal users to implement Access Control Lists
to provide anyone any sort of access to any resource the user controls.

P.S. How do we define what's a flame and what's a discussion?  By the
number of exclamation points??