[rec.ham-radio] IC Info Needed

jim@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.a.malcolm) (01/17/90)

I am going to build a PLL based Subsidary Carrier Authorization (SCA)
detector based on the NE565 PLL.  When I went to buy the IC, all
the dealer had was an LM565CN.  I don't have, and haven't been able
to find, the data sheet for this chip.  Could someone look it up
and tell me if it has the same pinouts as the NE565?

Thanks
Jim Malcolm
...!att!whuts!jim

PS. I plan on using the circuit that appears in the Radio Amateurs
Handbook (Chapter 18 in the latest version).  The alternative is
the circuit in the Signetics data book.  Has anybody built and
used either of these circuits?

In article <3678@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> jim@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.a.malcolm) writes:

> I am going to build a PLL based Subsidary Carrier Authorization (SCA)
> detector based on the NE565 PLL.  When I went to buy the IC, all
> the dealer had was an LM565CN.  I don't have, and haven't been able
> to find, the data sheet for this chip.  Could someone look it up
> and tell me if it has the same pinouts as the NE565?

As the next 100 people will say...it's the same chip, just a different
manufacturers designation (NE=Signetics,LM=National).

> PS. I plan on using the circuit that appears in the Radio Amateurs
> Handbook (Chapter 18 in the latest version).  The alternative is
> the circuit in the Signetics data book.  Has anybody built and
> used either of these circuits?

I've built the Signetics one.  It works, but unless you live in NYC
or somewhere similar, you'll only find a few stations running SCA and
most of them really aren't very intersting...

Also, you need to get into the pre-decode audio in your FM reciever,
which may or may not be easy...unless you have a truely ancient reciever
with a composite out jack...

jthorne@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (James Thorne) (01/18/90)

In article <3678@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> jim@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.a.malcolm) writes:

>the dealer had was an LM565CN.  I don't have, and haven't been able
>to find, the data sheet for this chip.  Could someone look it up
>and tell me if it has the same pinouts as the NE565?

The pinouts are the same and it looks like the circuit should work. I have
not built an SCA detector so can not say for sure.

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/18/90)

In article <3678@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> jim@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (james.a.malcolm) writes:

>I am going to build a PLL based Subsidary Carrier Authorization (SCA)
>detector based on the NE565 PLL.  When I went to buy the IC, all
>the dealer had was an LM565CN.

You're in luck.  Both chips are identical.  You see, the generic number of the
chip is 565.  But manufacturers like to add their own prefixes and suffixes.
Signetics starts a lot of their linear part numbers with NE or SE, depending
on whether the part is usable over the commercial or military temperature
ranges, respectively.  Signetics also attaches a suffix: N = plastic DIP, F =
ceramic DIP, D = surface mount, etc.  The LM565CN number is from National
Semiconductor.  The LM means 'linear monolithic.'  Other prefixes are: LF =
linear FET, LH = linear hybrid, ADC = A/D converter, etc.  The suffix C means
commercial temperature range; no C means military range.  N means plastic DIP,
H means metal can, etc.

So, both the NE565N and the LM565CN are the same chip, made by different
manufacturers.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill