[att.sys.pc6300] BBS -> UNIX communications/transfers

matt@ihdev.UUCP (03/05/87)

I`ve read the messages in the last few weeks about FIDO to UNIX
communications with anxious hopes that SOMEONE would have an answer.
The question again is how to dial up a BBS from UNIX and download
files. 'cu' doesn't work - you can dial up through cu but not transfer
files either way because cu is intercepting characters, causing a
download using kermit or xmodem to time out.

Since this is a UNIX network, I'm surprised that this isn't a
widespread problem. I don't have access to my PC at home, but I
do have a company supplied terminal and modem. Is there no software
out there that is similar to cu but works in 'raw mode' or something??

Please send me email, I'll summarize responses if necessary.

Thanks,

Matt Desch
ihnp4!ihdev!matt
(312) 510-4560

hrs@homxb.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <1264@ihdev.ATT.COM>, matt@ihdev.ATT.COM (Matt Desch) writes:
> I`ve read the messages in the last few weeks about FIDO to UNIX
> communications with anxious hopes that SOMEONE would have an answer.
> The question again is how to dial up a BBS from UNIX and download
> files. 'cu' doesn't work - you can dial up through cu but not transfer
> files either way because cu is intercepting characters, causing a
> download using kermit or xmodem to time out.
>
> Since this is a UNIX network, I'm surprised that this isn't a
> widespread problem. I don't have access to my PC at home, but I
> do have a company supplied terminal and modem. Is there no software
> out there that is similar to cu but works in 'raw mode' or something??
>
> Please send me email, I'll summarize responses if necessary.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Desch
> ihnp4!ihdev!matt
> (312) 510-4560

If you have a pc, 6300 or 7300, and you communicate to the outside
over ISN's modem pool, you can't up and download either with xmodem.
Kermit works, however.