[att.sys.pc6300] Uses for Lotus/Intel Extended Memory

singhal@houxa.UUCP (11/20/87)

Dear net-folks,

A friend of mine gave  me  a  bargain  on two  Lotus/Intel  extended  memory
boards,  and  I  could  not resist buying them. Now that I  have  4  meg  of
extended memory available, I find myself hard pressed to find uses for it. I
now realize that very few programs even know about its existence.

Currently I am using my extended memory for :

a) RAM disk (1.5 meg)
b) Disk cache (1 meg)
c) Print spooler (.5 meg)

Rest of the 1 meg is sitting around  idling  just in case some program wants
to use it as data space. Except of Lotus 1-2-3 Release 2 (which I don't use)
I know of no other program which uses extended memory for data space.

My   question   to   the   net   is   this  :   Can  anyone   suggest   more
useful/efficient/fun  ways  of  using my ocean of extended  memory  ?  Which
programs are out there  which  can  help me  get  the  most out of it ? I am
especially  interested  in  RAM  resident programs which  use  only  a  tiny
fraction of main memory and perform most of their lurking around in extended
memory. I understand that vaporware Sidekick+ will use it but who knows  how
and when !

Thanks a lot.

---Sharad Singhal

fhm@cblpf.UUCP (11/25/87)

> A friend of mine gave  me  a  bargain  on two  Lotus/Intel  extended  memory
> boards,  and  I  could  not resist buying them. Now that I  have  4  meg  of
> extended memory available, I find myself hard pressed to find uses for it. I
> now realize that very few programs even know about its existence.
.
.
> My   question   to   the   net   is   this  :   Can  anyone   suggest   more
> useful/efficient/fun  ways  of  using my ocean of extended  memory  ?  Which
> ---Sharad Singhal

Look at "DESQview" by Quarterdeck Office Systems.  It lets you have
several programs running at the same time-and lets you switch
between them instantly.

It is multitasking - The programs can run in the background.

It uses expanded memory to swap programs.

Frank H. Myers

psc@lznv.UUCP (11/25/87)

<In Syracuse, you dress in a tie; in Ephesus, you juggle . . . or die!>

In article <1640@houxa.UUCP>, singhal@houxa.UUCP (S.SINGHAL) writes:
> Currently I am using my extended memory for:
> RAM disk (1.5M); disk cache (1M); print spooler (.5M)
> Rest of the 1 meg is sitting around idling just in case some program wants
> to use it as data space.
> My question to the net is this: Can anyone suggest more
> useful/efficient/fun ways of using my ocean of extended memory?  Which
> programs are out there which can help me get the most out of it?  I am
> especially interested in RAM resident programs which use only a tiny
> fraction of main memory and perform most of their lurking around in
> extended memory.
> Thanks a lot, Sharad Singhal

Well, you could always give one of the boards to me. . . .

No, huh?  Well, pick up a copy of PC Tools (version 3.x or higher) from
Central Point Software.  It's a nice disk utility:  moves, copies,
erases, unerases, backs up, restores, browses, and edits disks and
files.  It can be invoked as a "normal" program, or as a pop-up.  As a
pop-up, it can stay resident in expanded memory.  (Um, expanded is LIM
EMS, and extended is 286 protected mode, right?)  PC Tools lists for
$40; I've seen it for as low as $19.  (From Telemart; and a friend of
mine bought it through them.)