[att.sys.pc6300] AT&T 6300 keyboard

tes@whutt.ATT.COM (STERKEL) (12/02/88)

I bought an Inmac keyboard to replace the tired one
on the 6300 (I am getting tired of fixing it, and
a new one is cheaper than 1.5 hours of "professional"
repair.)

Anyway, guess what I found?

The 6300 uses a *NON-standard* keyboard plug.  can
someone point me to a converter from the non-standard
AT&T plug, to the standard IBM plug.

thanks,
terry

jnl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (John N. Le) (12/02/88)

In article <4059@whutt.ATT.COM>, tes@whutt.ATT.COM (STERKEL) writes:
> I bought an Inmac keyboard to replace the tired one
> on the 6300 (I am getting tired of fixing it, and
> a new one is cheaper than 1.5 hours of "professional"
> repair.)
>
> Anyway, guess what I found?
>
> The 6300 uses a *NON-standard* keyboard plug.  can
> someone point me to a converter from the non-standard
> AT&T plug, to the standard IBM plug.
>
> thanks,
> terry

Terry,

It is not that simple.  The 6300 keyboard has its own ROM code to
produce a different signal than the standard IBM keyboard.  You can not
just buy or build an adaptor for the plug.  You have to buy a new keyboard
designed to work with the 6300.  Keystronics (sp?) has 2 versions made for
the 6300 family.  The price is from $159 I believe.

I have used both the 6300 keyboard models 301 and 302.  They don't have a
good seal against dust.  If dust gets under the keys, then they stick and
don't response well.  You can remove key by key and clean the contacts to
get better results.  And don't forget to cover the keyboard when not in use.
This will make the keyboard last longer.  My first 6300 (1984) keyboard still
works fine and so does my 6300+ (1987) one.
--
      #  #  #  #	  John N. Le
      #  ## #  #	  AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL  (IHP 2A-346)

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (12/02/88)

In article <4059@whutt.ATT.COM>, tes@whutt.ATT.COM (STERKEL) writes:
> I bought an Inmac keyboard to replace the tired one
> on the 6300 (I am getting tired of fixing it, and
> a new one is cheaper than 1.5 hours of "professional"
> repair.)
>
> Anyway, guess what I found?
>
> The 6300 uses a *NON-standard* keyboard plug.  can
> someone point me to a converter from the non-standard
> AT&T plug, to the standard IBM plug.
>
> thanks,
> terry

Bad news Terry,

The 6300 uses a non-standard keyboard period.  The existance of the
mouse port and the circuitry to handle it are just one difference.  The
ROM chips in the keyboard are proprietary as is the plug interface.  If
you don't want to use an AT&T keyboard on your 6300, you have one alternative
(at least that I have ever seen): Keytronic makes a version of their
replacement keyboard for the 6300.  Looks just like an IBM 101 AT kbd.  No
mouse port though.  Keytronic has a good reputation.  47st Computer used to
sell them.  Hope you can return the Inmac.  This is not an endorsement of
Keytronic or 47th Street Computer.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.