[rec.video] Small Video FM Transmitter: Any ideas or sources?

mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (01/19/87)

Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
put real-time vision on a radio-controlled plane.  Any magazine referances
or books would be helpful.  Please respond via E-mail and I'll post a summary
later on if anyone's interested.

Thanx in advance.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            Un. of Waterloo. Canada, N2L-3G1

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (01/20/87)

In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
>video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
>put real-time vision on a radio-controlled plane.  Any magazine referances
>or books would be helpful.  Please respond via E-mail and I'll post a summary
>later on if anyone's interested.

Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.

There were little transmitters made to work in a person's house and they were
pulled from the market because the output power was too large, and they would
only work the distance the size of a house.
--
	   ihnp4------\				|------------------------|
	 harvard-\     \			|        terminus:       |

In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
>>video over a distance of 2 miles?
>
>Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
>at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.

Too true.  To do what you want, you will have to local a friendly amateur
radio type who is into ATV.  This might be fun, forced marriage or not.

Simple solutions involving a video-modulator/amplifier/antenna get illegal
very quickly...

capshaw@milano.UUCP (01/21/87)

Interesting that this question should come up..

A local ham is preparing just such a plane.  I believe he is using
fairly ordinary ATV (Amateur TV) technology.  Minimizing payload
weight and ensuring the safety of the payload (!) seem to be his
greatest concerns.

If he flies close enough to an ATV repeater, a bunch of folks can
enjoy the view.

--
Dave Capshaw

rsanders@watdcsu.UUCP (Roger K. Sanderson P.Eng.) (01/21/87)

In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
>>video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
>
>Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
>at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
>only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.

Ah yes, but the origional poster was from Canada, and we only have to deal
with the DOC :-).

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (01/21/87)

In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
>>video over a distance of 2 miles?

If you have a Ham license, you could build a little transmitter that
runs a watt or so, and put it in your plane.  It would be on the the
420-450 MHz or higher bands.  You'd probably have to follow the plane
with a directional gain antenna to get an acceptable image, but it can
be done.

At the local electronics swap meet, there are a couple of people who
wander around with CCD colour cameras with a little (probably 1200MHz)
antenna on top, and transmit the image back to the monitor in their cars
on the other side of the parking lot.  Range is about 1/4 mile through
people and cars and bushes, and without directional antennas.

	Brian Kantor	WB6CYT	UC San Diego

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (01/22/87)

In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
> >Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
> >video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
> >put real-time vision on a radio-controlled plane.  Any magazine referances
> >or books would be helpful.  Please respond via E-mail and I'll post a summary
> >later on if anyone's interested.
>
> Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
> at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
> only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.
Legally your probably right, unless the guy gets an appropriate amueter radio
license.  Technically, your probably wrong.  Example: Israel in the Lebanon
campaign frequently sent radio drones up which were really souped up mdel
airplanes.  They not only carried real time TV, but equipment to simulate
a larger plane, in an effort to activate enemy antiaircraft batteries.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

Gillian: "Are you sure you won't change your mind?"
Spock: "Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

tob@inuxm.UUCP (01/23/87)

> In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> > >Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
> > >video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
> >
> > Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
> > at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
> > only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.
> Legally your probably right, unless the guy gets an appropriate amueter radio
> license.  Technically, your probably wrong.  Example: Israel in the Lebanon
> campaign frequently sent radio drones up which were really souped up mdel
> airplanes.  They not only carried real time TV, but equipment to simulate
> a larger plane, in an effort to activate enemy antiaircraft batteries.

The latest issue of Discover mag had a good article on these RPV's.

Ted Burger

cgs@umd5.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
>>video over a distance of 2 miles?  Some friends and myself are trying to
>>put real-time vision on a radio-controlled plane.  Any magazine referances
>>or books would be helpful.  Please respond via E-mail and I'll post a summary
>>later on if anyone's interested.
>
>Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
>at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
>only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.
>
>Mr. Video

Not true! The FCC has allocated bands in which one does not need a license
of any kind to use the frequencies with any kind of modulation desired.
The only restriction is the field strength measured at a specified distance
from the transmitting antenna. One may use any amount of RF power as long
as the field strength specification is met (read: you can use 1kW if your
antenna is very lossy). Since the poster is already using one such band to
control the airplane, the poster most certainly can use another frequency in
the same band for the TV signal. Also, the 2 mile range is trivial given that
the plane controller already has line-of-sight communication with the plane.
Please, Mr. Video, go look at the FCC Regulations, especially Part 15.

--
--==---==---==--
.. The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! ..

ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
UUCP: ..!seismo!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <1426@umd5>, cgs@umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
> In article <1438@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> >In article <4484@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
> >>Anybody know of any circuits or modules that can transmit NTSC black/white
> >>put real-time vision on a radio-controlled plane.  Any magazine referances
> >>or books would be helpful.  Please respond via E-mail and I'll post a summary
> >Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
> >at least 2 miles will require FCC approval.  In other words, forget it.  Not
> >only that, you probably couldn't get it to fit in the plane.
> >
> >Mr. Video
>
> Not true! The FCC has allocated bands in which one does not need a license
> of any kind to use the frequencies with any kind of modulation desired.
> The only restriction is the field strength measured at a specified distance
> from the transmitting antenna. One may use any amount of RF power as long

No, no, no, no. The operation being contemplated by the original poster
does NOT fall under 47 CFR 15 anyway (part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regs).
Nevertheless, these would be the power maximums for "low power communications
devices":

    47CFR15.112(a) - 160 to 190 kHz - one watt input power
    47CFR15.113(a) - 510 to 1600 kHz - 0.1 watt input power
    47CFR15.114(a) - cordless telephone - 50 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
    47CFR15.115    - device illegal to operate from 26.97 to 27.27 mHz
                     (operations cease Sept 18, 1983) as
    47CFR15.116    - 26.99 to 27.26 - voice and data prohibited (A3,F3,A1)
                     10 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
    47CFR15.117    - 49.82 to 49.90 - 10 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
                     Emissions not wider than 20 kHz
    47CFR15.119    - Home built device (5 or less)
                     Not marketed
                     49.82 to 49.90
                     (b) "the power input to the device at the batter
                          or power line terminals shall not exceed 100
                          milliwatts under any condition of modulation
    47CFR15.122    - (above 70 mHz) - transmission duration not greater
                     than one second and silent period of at least
                     30 times the transmitting duration. 500 uV/m at 3 m

     Nevertheless, I would challenge anyone to make a radiofrequency power
amplifier with 1 kw RF output and sufficiently shield it to limit radiation
to 50 mV/m at 3 meters.

     Generally speaking, the FCC frowns big-time on homebuilt devices which
have a DC input power to the final radiofrequency amplifier of 0.1 watts
or more. While this has not been set in stone as a rule, it is certainly
something which the local EIC (Engineer in Charge) could insist on if
pushed.  Furthermore, there is this business of self-certification which
have been prosecuted.

     None of the part 15 frequencies would be suitable for television,
anyway.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

res@sdiris1.UUCP (02/05/87)

I don't think a technical discussion is needed here, but there is a

VERY large difference in the power levels needed for a given range for
Voice/rc control and wide-band video... the ratio is that of the bandwidth
of the signals, roughly... which is about a thousand to one...
In Amateur TV service, a 1 watt transmitter, which must be licensed, is
good for about a half-mile, tops, without high-gain directional
antennas at both ends.. in air to ground service, it would be good for
2 miles probably... but you can only have about 100 milliwatts, 1/10th
the power, in an unlicensed unit.

Skip - N6IMN

cn
--
Skip Sanders :  sdcsvax!jack!man!sdiris1!res

brown@nicmad.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <1426@umd5> cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:
[... stuff about transmitting NTSC TV from a model plane ...]
>Please, Mr. Video, go look at the FCC Regulations, especially Part 15.

Ok, so I didn't know that a portion of the HAM band was opened up.
But, I got the impression from the poster that he wanted a cheap way
of doing it, ie, NTSC transmitter to a portable tv set.  There aren't
many portable tvs around that pick up the ham frequency area.  The
cheap way to a portable tv, over two miles, would require a transmitter
out of FCC minimum requirements for non-license.

Also, as we have seen in a reply from the poster (and others), that the
problem area is in Canada, which the FCC can't do anything about.
I have no answer for there, as I don't know the Canadian rules,
but my original idea about transmitting to a portable tv will
probably be out of spec in Canada as well.
--
	 harvard-\	 ihnp4-\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown	(How I hate 4 line .sigs!)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <614@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) writes:
[... gives very good data on FCC rules ...]
>David Anthony
>DataSpan, Inc.

Does this mean that my original posting about one not being able to build
anything is correct, and that another person's posting about a ham area
for doing such stuff is wrong?  That's a load off my mind :-)
--
	 harvard-\	 ihnp4-\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown	(How I hate 4 line .sigs!)
	 rutgers-/	decvax-/

pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (02/06/87)

   By the way, Video is usually encoded in AM, not FM.  The audio is encoded
in FM.

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

cgs@umd5.UUCP (02/07/87)

>>>Before anybody says anything else:  Any tv transmitter that can transmit for
>>>at least 2 miles will require FCC approval. ["Mr. Video"]
>>
>> ..The FCC has allocated bands in which one does not need a license..
>> The only restriction is the field strength measured at a specified distance
>> from the transmitting antenna. One may use any amount of RF power as long
>
>No, no, no, no. The operation being contemplated by the original poster
>does NOT fall under 47 CFR 15 anyway (part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regs).

I note some discrepancies between the specifications you posted, and the FCC
regulations themselves. In order to not mislead nor misinform anyone, I will
comment on each of the paragraphs in turn where I detect a discrepancy.

>    47CFR15.112(a) - 160 to 190 kHz - one watt input power
This is actually the *alternative* provision for a device that does not meet
the requirements of "47CFR"15.111. This states quite clearly:
"..emission of RF energy on the fundamental or any harmonic or other spurious
frequency does not exceed the field strength.."
10 kHz to 490 kHz    2400 divided by f(kHz) measured at 300 meters
510 kHz to 1600 kHz   24,000 divided by f(kHz) measured at 30 meters

>    47CFR15.113(a) - 510 to 1600 kHz - 0.1 watt input power
Again, this is the alternative provision for 15.111.

>    47CFR15.114(a) - cordless telephone - 50 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
>    47CFR15.115    - device illegal to operate from 26.97 to 27.27 mHz
>                     (operations cease Sept 18, 1983) as
>    47CFR15.116    - 26.99 to 27.26 - voice and data prohibited (A3,F3,A1)
>                     10 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
15.116 only applies to a non-voice device, so the modulation modes make sense.

>    47CFR15.117    - 49.82 to 49.90 - 10 mV/m at 3 meters at carrier F
>                     Emissions not wider than 20 kHz
This applies only to a marketed device, or is home built in a quantity
greater than 5.

>    47CFR15.119    - Home built device (5 or less)
>                     Not marketed
>                     49.82 to 49.90
>                     (b) "the power input to the device at the batter
>                          or power line terminals shall not exceed 100
>                          milliwatts under any condition of modulation
>    47CFR15.122    - (above 70 mHz) - transmission duration not greater
>                     than one second and silent period of at least
>                     30 times the transmitting duration. 500 uV/m at 3 m
The field strength given is incorrect. The correct field *strengths* are:
(field strengths are measured at *30* meters)
 70 to 130 MHz     50 microV/m
130 to 174 MHz     50 to 150 microV/m (linear interpolation)
174 to 260 MHz     150 microV/m
260 to 470 MHz     150 to 500 microV/m (linear interpolation)
470 MHz and above  500 microV/m

>     Nevertheless, I would challenge anyone to make a radiofrequency power
>amplifier with 1 kw RF output and sufficiently shield it to limit radiation
>to 50 mV/m at 3 meters.

Since there are legal linear amplifiers in Amateur Radio service with 2kW PEP
in the output stage, I wonder what the limit is for type acceptance? The limit
cannot be much if any higher than the receiver emission limits is my guess.

>     Generally speaking, the FCC frowns big-time on homebuilt devices which
>have a DC input power to the final radiofrequency amplifier of 0.1 watts
>or more.
Amateur Radio operators build transmitters and amplifiers with greater power
all the time... They (mostly all) just make sure that they meet the applicable
provisions before putting the device "on the air". The FCC has no (real)
problem with that kind of device.

>     None of the part 15 frequencies would be suitable for television,
>anyway. [David Anthony]
Since any modulation is permissible above 70 MHz (given the limitations above),
I fail to see how the frequencies are unsuitable. If the power level is what
is unsuitable, and the person has the backing of an organization such as a
University, then the person can apply for a special experimental allocation
under Part 5, instead of operating under Part 15. Also doing without color,
and limiting the resolution of the NTSC video will shrink the bandwidth
requirements considerably.
--
--==---==---==--
.. The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! ..

ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
UUCP: ..!seismo!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

good@pixar.UUCP (02/08/87)

Is there anybody out there with solid information, both technical and legal,
about the wireless video setup used on David Letterman's show as the Monkeycam,
Guestcam, Bandcam, et al?  It seems to have severe range problems inside the
studio, but perhaps a similar arrangement would work outdoors in a line-of-
sight situation.  Yes, I noted how large the belt-worn battery/xmitter pack is.
Seperate problem.   ;-)

--
		--Craig
		...{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!good

maryr@well.UUCP (02/09/87)

.UUCP>

Ya, on those RPV's they spent like 400 million dollars
and they didn't even have a good working model yet.
Hooray for Gov't selective spending.

These comments are mine and are no responsibility of mine.

maryr@well.UUCP (02/09/87)

CP> <1491@nicmad.UUCP>

What you could do is build an illegal plane that does what you want,
then have it spy on the Chief Engineer's house, or whoever
enforrces the rules and if you see him do anything book
it out of there!

----I am a graduate of the school of cheating

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (02/10/87)

There was an ad in the classified section of the January 1987 issue of
VIDEO magazine for a product called TV GENIE.  It is a wireless transmitter
that operates on UHF channel 14.  They claim a range of 200 feet.  It works
with all video sources.  I assume you have to have a TV or VCR with a
composite video out to connect to this device.  It looks like they have
RCA type connectors on it marked video and audio.  It has a little rod
type antenna on it.  It is listed at $88.  They list a toll free number
if you want to call. 1-800-222-4707.

Note:  This ad is not in the February issue of VIDEO.  They might have
       only bought one ad to see what the response would be or they might
       be out of business already.  I haven't called.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					1100 E. Warrenville Rd.
					Naperville, IL 60566
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <1490@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
> Ok, so I didn't know that a portion of the HAM band was opened up.
> But, I got the impression from the poster that he wanted a cheap way
> of doing it, ie, NTSC transmitter to a portable tv set.  There aren't
> many portable tvs around that pick up the ham frequency area.  The
> cheap way to a portable tv, over two miles, would require a transmitter
> out of FCC minimum requirements for non-license.

It wouldn't be difficult to create a battery powered converter for your
watchman or whatever (probably one of those slide rule type tuned ones
is better).  You just need an oscillator and a mixer the same technology
that allows you to shift the microwave HBO feeds down to the normal
TV bands.  It's just two circuit boards from interational crystal (are
they still around?).

-Ron

larson@sri-unix.UUCP (02/13/87)

> It wouldn't be difficult to create a battery powered converter for your
> watchman or whatever (probably one of those slide rule type tuned ones
> is better).  You just need an oscillator and a mixer the same technology
> that allows you to shift the microwave HBO feeds down to the normal
> TV bands.

  I don't know why this was proposed as a video FM transmitter.  In any
case, reception of FM video is a bit more complex.  Of course, if you were
in the right frequency range, a TVRO system (with smaller dish) could make
a good receiver, and probably do decent range with low power.

  Speaking of all this, whatever did the original poster decide to do?
I would recommend getting an amateur license, and going for that, but
perhaps an experimental license is availiable in Canada, similar to ones
that are availiable in U.S.

  I would have substantial fear about flying a camera.  Awfully expensive
crash!

	Alan

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (02/13/87)

The "Rabbit" VCR multiplier is really a small TV transmitter that takes
the output of your VCR and sends it to another TV in your house.  These
devices are sometimes heavily discounted.  Youu could buy one, and re-
package it for your aircraft.

--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analysts International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours." - R. Bach

ken@argus.UUCP (02/15/87)

In article <532@sdiris1.UUCP>, res@sdiris1.UUCP (Skip Sanders) writes:
> VERY large difference in the power levels needed for a given range for
> Voice/rc control and wide-band video... the ratio is that of the bandwidth
> of the signals, roughly... which is about a thousand to one...

I can understand why a larger bandwith is needed, does this translate
into more power as well?

jimb@tekigm2.UUCP (02/17/87)

 In article <1486@ihuxi.UUCP> store2@ihuxi.UUCP (Wilcox) writes:
 >There was an ad in the classified section of the January 1987 issue of
 >VIDEO magazine for a product called TV GENIE.
 >
 >Note:  This ad is not in the February issue of VIDEO.  They might have
 >       only bought one ad to see what the response would be or they might
 >       be out of business already.  I haven't called.

Look closely at that ad.  You will see it has a Gresham Oregon address.
That outfit has been introuble with the law (or on the edge of it) for
several years.  That little gizmo they are selling is ILLEGAL.  The local
Portland (Gresham is a suburb of Portland) FCC office has quite a file on
that outfit and that particular unit and has warned them many times about
selling and advertising that item. (I know, so why haven't they done anything
about it).  It is only a matter of time until the FCC has them good.  They
were also (previous owners) one of the big ones they got for selling MDS
decoders a few years ago.  The local cable company and HBO sued them and
about a dozen others and HBO won.  I would stay clear.