[rec.video] genlock chip

richard@islenet.UUCP (03/31/87)

In the March issue of Modern Electronics magazine there's a short
description of a Motorola chip, MC1378, that's supposed to do
genlocking via synchonization.  They say it has special provisions
to handle VCR jitter.

Has anyone investigated this chip or know anything more about it?

I'm wondering how difficult/expensive it might be to stabilize the
output from a VHS VCR so that better copies might be possible.

Does this sound like the right approach?

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii	or ...!islenet!bigtuna!richard

mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <3193@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>In the March issue of Modern Electronics magazine there's a short
>description of a Motorola chip, MC1378, that's supposed to do
>genlocking via synchonization.  They say it has special provisions
>to handle VCR jitter.
>
>Has anyone investigated this chip or know anything more about it?
>
>I'm wondering how difficult/expensive it might be to stabilize the
>output from a VHS VCR so that better copies might be possible.
>
>Does this sound like the right approach?

By 'handling VCR jitter' they mean that the chip can stabilize a overlayed
video image with the freeze-frame output of a paused VCR.  It won't do anything
to improve the quality of the original signal.  To do such a thing would require
either a phaselocked circuit to restore the original sync pulses correctly or
a large frame buffer which could restore signal uniformity.
There are VCR's which have this ability but they are expensive and difficult
to modify for better error reduction features.

Sorry.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            Un. of Waterloo. Canada, N2L-3G1