[rec.video] Soldering in MOSFETs

davidw@lpi.UUCP (04/07/87)

I'm replacing the RF amp MOSFET in a TV and want to doublecheck the procedure
for soldering these things.  Besides the obvious heatsinking, I'm curious
about the static problem.  I know about using a grounded soldering iron, but
should I also ground the TV chassis?  Could there could be a static
potential between "earth" ground and TV ground???

Should I also be standing on a static-shorting mat?  etc??
Thanks.

DW

cgs@umd5.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <11576@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) writes:
> ... Electronics assemblers frequently wear a conductive wrist-strap
>connected by wire to a nearby ground point...
>you could probably fake up something
>similar by taking 10' of thin (22-gauge) insulated copper wire,
>stripping and grounding one end, and stripping about 8" at the other
>end and tying it loosely around your wrist.

... and doing so is VERY dangerous, and probably a violation of
OSHA rules and regs... The ground strap you speak of have a 1 Megohm
resistor in series between personnel and the earth ground. This is
to limit the discharge current from personnel, and to provide for only
a extremely poor circuit THROUGH personnel in case of inadvertent
contact with powered circuits.
--- Safety is Job 1 ---

--
--==---==---==--
.. did gyre and gymble in the wabe: ..

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <1521.umd5.umd.edu>, Chris Sylvain writes:

> ... and doing so is VERY dangerous, and probably a violation of OSHA
> rules and regs... The ground strap you speak of have a 1 Megohm
> resistor in series between personnel and the earth ground. This is to
> limit the discharge current from personnel, and to provide for only a
> extremely poor circuit THROUGH personnel in case of inadvertent
> contact with powered circuits.
>  --- Safety is Job 1 ---

(this in response to my suggestion about a method of grounding oneself
to keep from frying a MOSFET)

AIEE!  Good (excellent!) point!  I hereby retract my suggestion for a
simple wired body-ground... especially as any equipment that has a CRT
tube probably has some VERY dangerous voltages in it.  I forgot the
rule-of-thumb that says "when working around voltage, stand clear of
all possible grounds and keep one hand in your rear pants pocket".

Thanks, Chris, for pointing this out!  Once again I seemed to have
proven the adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

	dave platt

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <270@lpi.UUCP>, davidw@lpi.UUCP (David Weisman) writes:
> I'm replacing the RF amp MOSFET in a TV and want to doublecheck the procedure
> for soldering these things.  Besides the obvious heatsinking, I'm curious
> about the static problem.  I know about using a grounded soldering iron, but
> should I also ground the TV chassis?  Could there could be a static
> potential between "earth" ground and TV ground???

> Should I also be standing on a static-shorting mat?  etc??

The idea here is to remove ANY possibility of putting a static potential
across the leads of the MOSFET or between any of the leads and the case.
That is why they are shipped in foil or otherwise conductive packaging
if they are even possibly sensitive.

My suggestion is to MAINTAIN a conductive path between each of the leads
and the case until the device is securly soldered into place with all of
the other circuitry.  This can be done by attaching clips or something
conductive to the leads and case while the device is STILL in contact
with its packaging.  When handling the device, try to make sure that you
do not build up any static potential relative to the device.  When you
finish the soldering, you can then remove the shorting equipment.

--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/13/87)

Just a few comments:

1.  Don't ever connect yourself directly to ground by putting a
wire around your wrist and twisitng the opposite end around a
grounded object.  If you came in contact with line voltage by
accident, your execellent ground could prove leathal.  Commercial
straps have large value resistors in series.  Your work area should
also be guarded by a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) type circuit
breaker if you are using some sort of device such as the wrist
strap that enhances your danger of electrocution.

2.  Actually, grounding yourself isn't always best. If the item
you are repairing accumulates a static charge, then it can
discharge to gound thorugh you, thus zapping the MOSFET in
question. You might actaually be better off attaching your wrist
strap to the frame of the device that you are servicing.  That way,
both you and the device are at the same potential.  Of course,
there is a slight chance that if there is an initial discharge as
you attach yourself to the device, the induced field in the frame
could zap the MOSFET, but the chances of this are remote.

3.  This reminds me of a story back when I used to work at a
certian gov't. agnecy with a 3-letter name.  They used ao have
everybody wear thier photo IDs etched on a piece of aluminum
hanging from a chain around the neck.  You can imagine what
happened when some guy bent over to tune the output tank circuit of
a transmitter and the ID badge flipped in: yeee-ouch!  They got
smart and switched to polaroid pictures sandwiched in plastic-- but
still on a neck chain.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)