[rec.video] HDTV versus Europeans

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (06/25/87)

[Followups to rec.video only, please.]

In article <478@its63b.ed.ac.uk>, gdmr@its63b.ed.ac.uk (G Ross) writes:
> I can only assume that either that you have never watched scan-converted
> broadcasts, or that you are not prone to attacks of sea-sickness.

This sounds like a misdirected attack.  There may well be problems in scan-
converting American NTSC to European PAL.  It does not follow that there will
be the same problems scan-converting Japanese HDTV to PAL.  In particular,
I would assume that moving from a high resolution system to a lower resolution
system would make it easier to produce a good quality picture.  (NTSC to
PAL goes from 525 to 625 lines, requiring things to "stretch".)  If anyone
knows the technical details of scan conversion artifacts, post it here.
--
{sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4,ucbvax}!hoptoad!gnu	       gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Kudos to Stargate for permitting redistribution.   May the Source be with you!