[rec.video] Lightning Protection Advice Needed

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (09/22/87)

In article <14917@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP writes:
> Telephone lightening arresters are commonly used on all circuits these
> days.  Surge protectors for phone lines are also available, but their
> use is less common.

Yes, the phone company installs primary protectors where the wires enter
your home.  These are designed to keep the voltage on the phone line from
rising above 600 to 1000 volts depending upon the model, and the number
of times that it has been zapped.  I found out the hard way that this is
not good enough to protect some modems.  Now I use a secondary lightning
protector on all lines with modems.  These are available from such places
as Inmac for $59.  I have had two of the Inmac protectors smoked (burned
up) by lightning strikes but they saved the modem in each case.  If some
one knows of a better protector I would be interested.  I am on the end
of a long telephone line that runs through a valley.  Whenever a storm
hits the valley, our phone rings on every strike.  However, only when
we get a strike in our yard do we get the protectors smoked.

> > Telephone lightening arresters are commonly used on all circuits these
> > days...
>
> Yes, the phone company installs primary protectors where the wires enter
> your home.  These are designed to keep the voltage on the phone line from
> rising above 600 to 1000 volts depending upon the model, and the number
> of times that it has been zapped.  I found out the hard way that this is
> not good enough to protect some modems...

It is worth knowing that the phone company does not give two hoots about
what happens to *your* equipment.  They are only interested in protecting
their own; that is what those protectors are for.  And by the way, they
care a lot more about the lines and the exchanges than about the phone in
your house, even if you are renting it from them.  Keeping your equipment
intact is strictly your problem.
--
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

> It is worth knowing that the phone company does not give two hoots about
> what happens to *your* equipment.  They are only interested in protecting
> their own; that is what those protectors are for...

I've been taken to task for this in private mail, and should amend it
slightly.  The main purpose of the phone company's protectors on lines
is prevention of shock and fire hazards.  Protection of subscriber-end
equipment actually did play some role in setting their protection
standards, but the equipment they were thinking of was the phones and
modems that were current at the time... generally rather more robust
than much of today's equipment.