[rec.video] X-10 remote control

alw@eddie.MIT.EDU (Alan Wu) (12/31/87)

In article <171@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>In article <1530@zodiac.UUCP> jshelton@ADS.ARPA (John L. Shelton) writes:
>>
>>Can anyone refer me to published information about the X-10 remote
>>control standard?  I'd be interested in any of the following:
>>
>>1.  Description of the protocol
>>2.  Hobbyist articles describing construction projects
>>3.  Reviews of manufactured X-10 devices.
>>

>DAC Industries Inc. (800-325-0800) used to offer an X10 controller that
>could be driven by a computer system via an RS232C interface.  Called
>The X10 Powerhouse, it provides the capability of controlling 256 remote
>modules.  The cost was about $25/each.

It's called the CP290, and it's still available from Heathkit and many
other places.  X-10 Inc. offers software for the IBM PC, Commodore
64/128, Apple II, and the Mac.  Radio Shack used to offer their
version with TRS-80 Color Computer software, but I think they're
closing it out.  The regular X10 labeled version also includes a
programmer's manual describing the raw bits and bytes and what they
do, so you can write your own program.  The CP290 can download and
upload via an RS232 port, and can run independently so it doesn't tie
up your computer.  It has battery backup with a 9V alkaline keeping
its memory and time going for up to 30 hours.

The CP290 is much better than the other RS232 X10 interface also sold
by Heathkit (GD-1530, $100) which is pretty obsolete since it ties up
your computer.  Heathkit is currently pushing their X10-compatible
"Smarthome I", (GD-3800), which is a kit version of the system made by
CyberLynx.  KBJ (see later) had an article about the Smarthome system,
which has fancier software than the CP290 and can also accept contact
closure inputs from alarms and whatever, but also costs a lot more
($400 just for the basic controller and software, plus another $300
for the optional GD-3880 Alarm Center accessory).  In comparison, the
current Heathkit catalog lists the BC-290-A, -M , and -P (for the
Apple II, Mac, and IBM PC respectively) at $39 including both hardware
and software.

BTW, I think the term "X-10 Powerhouse" refers to the entire line of
equipment sold by X-10 (USA) Inc., formerly BSR X-10.

>There is a terrific program in the public domain written by Larry Campbell,
>that will drive the "Powerhouse" from a Unix system.

Sounds interesting.  What's it called, and where can I get it from?

>Leviton Manufacturing Co, Inc 59-25 Little Neck Pkwy, Little Neck, NY 11632
>markets industrial quality X10 compatible components.  I have installed
>these in multi-story office buildings for controlling lighting, environmental
>control, as well as large (10-50 HP) circulating pumps and chillers.

Where do you buy the Leviton versions from?  What do they offer beyond
the consumer versions, and do they work well?  I once saw the Leviton
wall-switch version which could be used to control fluorescent lights
(standard X10 wall switches can't, due to their dimmer feature which
is incompatible with fluorescents).  I bought it and installed it in
my kitchen, but it smoked the first time so I brought it back for a
refund (yes, I was very careful to wire it according to the
instructions, including the requirement for a neutral wire).  I was
still willing to try again, but the place where I got it didn't have
plans to restock.  The Leviton stuff is expensive (over $50 for the
wall switch that smoked), so I wouldn't get it unless there was no
other way to do what I want.

>You can reach the manufacturer at:
>X10 (USA) Inc, 185A Legrand Avenue, Northvale, NJ 07647.

Their phone number is (201) 784-9700.

Further comments, for the original inquiry, as well as general interest:

Several articles describing the internals of the X10 circuitry,
troubleshooting hints, and various applications have been published in
the Kit Builder's Journal (KBJ) started by Heathkit earlier this year.
At least some of the material was written by X-10 Inc., so it should
be pretty authoritative and up-to-date.  I don't have a copy with me
at the moment, but I'll post more info about KBJ when I get a chance,
if somebody else doesn't do it first.

As for reliability, it hasn't been horrible and it hasn't been great.
I've had about 6 timers, 5 manual controllers, and maybe 30 power
modules in use at various places spanning about 10 years.  The labels
have been X-10, Sears, Radio Shack, and Leviton (never got a GE to
complete the collection), but they're all made by X-10 or its
predecessor.  Other than occasional problems with bad keyboard
contacts, usually the stuff works fine out of the box.  But
thunderstorms, light bulbs burning out, and even power failures have
broken about 8 modules and 1 timer over the years.

Steve Ciarca of Byte magazine's Circuit Cellar used the X10 stuff for
a while, but apparently gave up after a lightning storm blew out much
of his equipment, including his X10 modules.  He switched over to
hard-wiring, which can be more reliable, but is much more difficult to
install or reconfigure.  I find the X10 stuff convenient, but when
using it with vital systems such as controlling the heat in sub-zero
weather, I'm very careful to use it in a "fail-safe" combination with
selective use of hard-wiring.

From looking inside failed modules, I've noticed that there is a very
fine strand of fuse wire soldered in series with the "hot" conductor.
But it never blows out (probably it's there just to keep the thing
from catching fire if something shorts).  The lamp modules won't turn
on, won't turn off, or even flicker intermittently when they fail, all
of which can be symptomatic of SCR problems.  The appliance modules
usually fail to turn on.  With the older AM601 appliance modules, I've
noticed that they sometimes hum and try to turn on, but the solenoid
seems to be too weak to pull in.  Only in this last case have I been
able to fix things, by carefully dribbling WD40 lubricant into the
recalcitrant microswitch.  Other appliance modules fail to respond at
all, presumably due to some electronic problem.  I think the SCR is
almost always the cause, but I haven't had time to test thoroughly.

I had one of the fluorescent display timers start acting flaky after a
thunderstorm, so I've taken to soldering in a MOV across the line
inputs as a precaution.  I'm not sure whether or not the
newly-repackaged X10 stuff (in the beige rather than the old dark
brown cases) is any better protected than the older stuff, since I
haven't had the new stuff long enough to have one zapped yet.

The new wireless remote controller (BC-5000, $40) works fine, though I
wouldn't leave the receiver set to the same house code as anything I
didn't want some joker outside with a transmitter to mess with.
Especially in an aluminum-sided house, it has some problems with
standing waves and null spots, so I've taken to waving the transmitter
around with a grand flourish while pressing the buttons (poor man's
spatial diversity transmission :^).

I hope this information has been helpful.  If anyone out there has
further comments, questions, or experiences related to X10 or home
control, I'd be interested in hearing from them.