[rec.video] GenLock on MS-DOS

yohanan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Steven J. Yohanan) (02/06/88)

I have a AT-compatible and am interesting in `grasping' video images from
a VHS player (or camera) onto the computer's screen.  I have been informed
about a technique called Gen-Locking (sic.), but don't know of any peripherals
available for my type of machine which utilize this technique.  I have heard
of such a device [dubbed: `Gen-Lock'] for the Amiga, but haven't run across
one for AT-type machines.

If anyone has any information on Gen-Lock devices or any other type of
peripherals that performs the desired task, please leave me E-mail.

Thanks in advance....

Steven J. Yohanan	<yohanan>
Internet: yohanan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
  Bitnet: yohanan%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@wiscmac3.bitnet
{seismo|nike|ucbvax|harvard|rutgers!ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!yohanan

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/07/88)

yohanan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Steven J. Yohanan) wrote:

> I have a AT-compatible and am interesting in `grasping' video images from
> a VHS player (or camera) onto the computer's screen.  I have been informed
> about a technique called Gen-Locking (sic.), but don't know of any peripherals
> available for my type of machine which utilize this technique.  I have heard
> of such a device [dubbed: `Gen-Lock'] for the Amiga, but haven't run across
> one for AT-type machines.

    Gee, when I used to be a tech in Video, Genlock was a box
that locked up on a master oscilator or any video source and
regenerated the H and V sync pulses for cameras and synced up
VTRs so you could do things like switching between sources
without loss of sync.
     I think what you want is a frame grabber.  Some sort of
high speed A to D flash converter.

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |

nkhan@polyslo.UUCP (Naseer Mohammed Khan) (02/08/88)

The genlock for the Amiga only affords you the ability to put the VCR image
underneath the Amiga's normal image and possibly export this to another VCR.
Sort of like a video-titler.  To import the VCR's image and place it in
computer memory you need either a frame grabber and supplementary software/
hardware to work with it, or you need some sort of a digitizer.  Of course, for
serious work, your VCR needs to the expensive single-frame stopping kind!
Besides, for really serious video work, you probably need to get a quantity of
one of this well-known system: an AMIGA {500,1000,2000}.  All the peripherals
for such video development are available for it and improvements to such
systems are rapidly being worked out.

 	--->	"Only AMIGA makes it possible."  :-)   <---

						- Naseer Khan