[rec.video] 100% amiga "Computer Chronicles" show on PBS

In article <1019@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>pin-stripe and McIntosh forum.  I was particularly impressed with
>the demonstation of the "Video Toaster" card for the 2000 (Amiga).  Man,
>that card does things that only an Ampex ADO could have done for
>about 30x the cost a couple of years ago.

I've heard that there are some off-the-shelf video chips that do
this sort of thing now, and supposedly that is what NewTek used.
Does anyone know what they are, i.e. who makes them etc...?

The apparently handle the ability to continuously read a video
signal into frame buffer memory according to programmable algorythms
which can provide the various real-time effects, zooming, spinning,
rotating etc. on the image.  Kind of a video-scan microprocessor.

Sure like to peruse the spec sheets of these animals.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (02/26/88)

>>the demonstation of the "Video Toaster" card for the 2000 (Amiga).  Man,
>>that card does things that only an Ampex ADO could have done for
>>about 30x the cost a couple of years ago.

>I've heard that there are some off-the-shelf video chips that do
>this sort of thing now, and supposedly that is what NewTek used.
>Does anyone know what they are, i.e. who makes them etc...?

>The apparently handle the ability to continuously read a video
>signal into frame buffer memory according to programmable algorythms
>which can provide the various real-time effects, zooming, spinning,
>rotating etc. on the image.  Kind of a video-scan microprocessor.

>Keith Doyle

   I don't really know what all is in this beast, but it was my understanding
that the 'graphics engine' employed is a TI TMS34010. It seems unlikely
though that all the work is being done by the 34010 since it is really not
that high powered (not in the same class as say the National RGP chip set).
Also, the 34010 is supposed to be an option in the final product.
Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. With the 34010 being
a coprocessor option, there might be some room for some high-perf hardware
hacking.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/28/88)

I was wondering if "video toaster" is a generic term related to
video signal processing hardware/software.  If so, what this it
origin of the term.

--Bill